1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hard drive runs almost constantly

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Dennis Carter, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    There is no CD or DVD in the machine.

Could this be a sign that something is very wrong?

2. the hard drive.... or the fan?
    it's hard to hear a hard drive in a mac

do you mean the SUPERDRIVE?

3. what mac do you have?
    mac operating system?
    what programs are loaded at startup?

what dashboard programs have you downloaded and have operational?

4. This can happen when your computer is set to index files to facilitate that search hourglass in the upper right of the screen. That can be shut off. My understanding is if that is selected each word in every file is indexed.

Are you running Time Machine? If so is it backing up every drive? You can check that in Time Machine.

5. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA

Ok, I'll have to show my ignorance. It sounds like the superdrive; however, when I press the eject button, nothing comes out.

Perhaps it is the fan?

Mac iBook G4, OS X 10.4.

At startup, no programs are loaded, I think. That is, no applications are open. I only see the "Desktop" and a few icons on it.

Showing my ignorance again. :redface:

I don't have Time Machine. At least, I don't think I do. :redface:

Thanks so much for your help.

6. Alan.Tran

Alan.Tran

Jun 5, 2008
    California
    It's probably the fan, I wouldn't worry about it. It's doing its job.

7. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    Alan

Thanks!

8. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    If the fan is running constantly I would check in Activity Monitor and see what is running the processor so much.

9. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    Would you mind explaining how I monitor the Activity Monitor?

Thanks for replying!

10. It sounds as though you're new to the Mac, am I right? Got this G4 as a deal from someone?

To answer the question about programs being open: on a Mac, we use the dock (string of icons across the bottom) to open programs. Click on the one that looks like a compass, for instance, and that's Safari, which will take you to the internet. Clicking on the calendar opens your calendar, clicking on the two faces opens the finder, which then will enable you to see all your programs.

Activity Monitor is found by clicking on Finder > Applications > Utilities.

As for the noise, yes, if it's an older machine, and being a G4 it will be, it is likely that the HD is going bad on it. I'd take it into the nearest Apple store Genius Bar and let them take a look.....

Also, you might want to pick up a copy of David Pogue's THE MISSING MANUAL: TIGER. This is an invaluable resource for learning your way around a Mac!

11. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA

Thanks, Connie! I'll be looking into this.

12. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    Click on the CPU column header to sort so the process using the most of the CPU is on top. You might find that an application has taken over and is using most of your CPU.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.