HARD DRIVE STARTING TO DETERIORATE

My brother lives about 3,000 miles away from me in Ohio.
He has a HP S5-1204 computer with a Hitachi HDS 721010CLA632 hard drive.
I accessed his computer last night to clean up a few things. He's not too technical when it comes to computers.
When I ran CrystalDiskInfo it had a yellow caution warning on section "Reallocated Sectors Count"
The raw number was 50005.
Everything I'm reading on this seems to indicated the drive is starting to go bad.
The question is , in how much time.
I plan on doing Image backups this morning.
One in Macrium Reflect and another using Acronis True Image.
It's been a few months since he's done a backup.
I had it scheduled to do a backup every Wednesday night and all he had to do was make sure the machine was on and the external drive plugged in but many times he did not do it.
I'm not too sure of the best way to restore a new drive for him and then I'm sure he can find someone locally to put it in.
Over the years we have had to do two image backup restores to his machine for various issues that were just easier to resolve with the image restore.
For the restore I would access his machine remotely and restore from the drive image.
Worked great.
In this instance though we're looking at installing a new drive and I will probably not be able to access remotely as the machine will need to be started from an emergency CD.
I was thinking about having him send me the external backup drive and I could use Acronis True Image to clone the disk on my machine starting up with the emergency disk. I did not see an option to clone a disk in Macrium Reflect.
I could then send the new drive back to him and he can get someone local to install.
Right now I'm leaning toward cloning with Acronis.
Does anyone know if cloning should replace everything and basically giving me duplicate drive.
I'm thinking it should.
Any other suggestions are appreciated, including maybe I'm jumping the gun with the Raw number being 50005.
That may or may not be too serious.

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
You are doing the right thing - the moment I see yellow I replace.
With luck you will be able to make a good backup, but you can't tell, it could die in 10 minutes time or 10 months time.

Macrium can clone easily, I would use that.
  • Make sure you are on the Backup tab.
  • Click on the disk to clone.
  • Click on the text "Clone this disk".
  • Choose destination disk.
A quick search found this description: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clone-your-pcs-hard-drive-macrium-reflect

I think your idea of him doing a disk backup to an external, then sending it to you and you sending him the replacement disk sounds good. Do make sure the backup is every partition on the disk.

(The safest way of all would be for him to send you the computer minus screen and keyboard.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You are doing the right thing - the moment I see yellow I replace.
With luck you will be able to make a good backup, but you can't tell, it could die in 10 minutes time or 10 months time.

Macrium can clone easily, I would use that.
  • Make sure you are on the Backup tab.
  • Click on the disk to clone.
  • Click on the text "Clone this disk".
  • Choose destination disk.
A quick search found this description: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clone-your-pcs-hard-drive-macrium-reflect

I think your idea of him doing a disk backup to an external, then sending it to you and you sending him the replacement disk sounds good. Do make sure the backup is every partition on the disk.

(The safest way of all would be for him to send you the computer minus screen and keyboard.)
Thanks Richard.
I Found it.
Naturally it's the smallest print in the program. LOL.
I'd much rather use Macrium.

Real Name
Don Roy
Have him make a Acronis boot USB via the Media Builder app. Then you can talk him though booting it and restoring. Assuming you also have the same ver of Acronis on your machine, you could make a boot USB too so he can see what you see as you walk through it together on the two machines, you of course not hitting 'doit' at the last moment.

Please let us know when you are about to begin the major surgery on your brother's computer so the Drinking Support Team can get up and running. 🍷
Thanks Mike.
I'll be sure to let everyone here know.
It will be a few days.
Need to have a replacement drive shipped to me.
Have my brother send the backup drive.
Clone the drive.
The only downside is I will not be able to test it on my end.
I have different hardware in my machine.
Have to send it to him, install and start again.

Dave - If you get a chance, could you elaborate on your use of CrystalDiskInfo? I ran a search and it looks like it is freeware. Is there a site you would recommend for a download. My computer is 8 years old so it would probably be good for me to check the hard drives and SSD to see if anything is happening.

Please let us know when you are about to begin the major surgery on your brother's computer so the Drinking Support Team can get up and running. 🍷
OK Team.
I've started the process.
Currently doing an image backup remotely that is more recent than the others.
After this one I'll do another on a different external drive for insurance.
Probably do a few more in the next few days while shopping for a new drive.
Let the fun begin.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Here Ya go.
It's freeware.

https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

I'm not sure what the different editions entail.
I use Shizuku.
Maybe Richard will see this and chime in.
I use Standard Edition, but I think it is just the decorations that change. It is excellent software, but be sure to get it from that link and not anywhere else.
Here is the link to understand what SMART is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.
The program also works well for SSDs, showing a percentage that still works. 100% is good and my Samsung and Intel SSDs all report 100%, but I used to have an early one where it dropped steadily.

Neither Windows nor macOS provide a utility to show the SMART data for the drives.

Argh
I hate doing that kind of stuff remotely.

As was said, you don't know if the drive will fail tomorrow, or next year.
Best to get the failing drive replaced ASAP.

Watch out for the details of the image backup. This used to be the discussion of image vs. file backup.
If the image copies corrupt parts of the drive, it may not be of much use as you will be restoring corrupt data.
But this also raises the question of what does the mfg mean by "image." The old definition was an "image" of the drive, bad data and all.

The advantage was that an image backup was/is much faster than a file backup.
But the restore was an all or nothing situation. This was because the old image restore could not piece back fragments of a file, it restored the drive sector by sector, just as the original drive was.

I don't know if the modern "image" backups have cracked that nut.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Argh
I hate doing that kind of stuff remotely.

As was said, you don't know if the drive will fail tomorrow, or next year.
Best to get the failing drive replaced ASAP.

Watch out for the details of the image backup. This used to be the discussion of image vs. file backup.
If the image copies corrupt parts of the drive, it may not be of much use as you will be restoring corrupt data.
But this also raises the question of what does the mfg mean by "image." The old definition was an "image" of the drive, bad data and all.

The advantage was that an image backup was/is much faster than a file backup.
But the restore was an all or nothing situation. This was because the old image restore could not piece back fragments of a file, it restored the drive sector by sector, just as the original drive was.

I don't know if the modern "image" backups have cracked that nut.
The image will work fine. The drive is not corrupt, it is just dying.

When I do an image backup I always have it verify the image as well.
Takes twice as long but I think its worth it.

I was able to find the identical drive on Amazon.
They had plenty of refurbished but I opted for new.
I figure if this one lasted 7 years until it started to show signs of wear we should be good for quite some time.
It will arrive on Wednesday.
I made two complete drive image backups done today on two different external drives no problems so far.
It's been almost a year since the last backup.
I discussed that with my brother.
All he has to do is plug in an external drive and leave the machine on through the night on a certain night and it will automatically backup. I can't make it any easier.
This could have turned out much worse.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom