1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hard Lesson Learned...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by iShoot, Sep 2, 2008.

1. iShoot

iShoot

Feb 1, 2008
    Stockton,CA
    Today I went with my family to Monterey,CA, great place. Well on our third and last day of our trip, I dropped my D80 with my 18-200 attatched :frown:. The body is fine and the mount looks fine also, the lens is not obliterated, but is in bad shape. No dents or glass broken, but the barrel came apart at the focal ring, and I can see the internal parts of lens. Is there any way, I can save my lens at all? As for the lesson I learned...sometimes my parents aren't always right, I shouldn't have listened to them and just bought the insurance that could have saved me the grief and some stress. I didn't let the event spoil the rest of the day, I used the 50 for the rest of day, and still went on. This year is just plain bad for me and for my family, my father just passed a month ago, my older brother broke his hand, now my lens is in bad shape, tough times for me right now, but I'll manage, any advice at all for my lens? I bought the lens November last year at Wolf Camera, and the box says it has a 5 year warranty, so I hope I have luck. Thank you for any advice my fellow Nikonians.

2. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi don-

sorry to hear about your bad luck, and my condolences to you and your family on your father's passing away.

as far as the lens goes, it's probably a goner if the barrel broke. nikon should be able to repair it, but in general they'd have to remove and re-align the optics, which usually costs more than the lens is worth. you should still contact them anyways to get an estimate.

ricky

3. First let me say sorry to hear that you have lost your father...

As for the lens, it would not be covered under warranty as the damage is considered as "Abused" (even though it was an accident).
    But I would first get a quote from Nikon to having it repaired, and if the estimate gets close to a new one, well my choice would be to go for the new one...
    It sounds like you've just had a bummer of a year, I hope things pick up for you real soon..

4. Well wishes for you and your family. Sorry to hear about your fathers passing.

Even if the estimate is much lower than the price of a new lens, I would buy a new one if you can afford to.

5. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    I don't know how it works in the US, but in the UK my household insurance covers accidental damage to items even if they're used outside my house, may be worth checking out.

It sounds like it may have taken some heavy damage, so may not be economical to repair as a new one may not be that much more expensive. Always worth sending to Nikon for an estimate.

6. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    my inland marine policy covers drops
    homeowners doesn't unless i list it by serial#

7. My condolences on your various family problems, especially your father.

As far as your lens goes, I'd send it to Nikon to have it evaluated. I was surprised that a similar problem with mine (also dropped, although mine was in a well-padded bag) did not cost that much to repair: $94, although that may have been before tax.

If the cost to repair exceeds about $250 or so, my advice would be to replace the lens with a different model. That would be either the Nikkor 16-85VR, or the Sigma 18-200 OS HSM. Both seem better constructed, the Nikkor is apparently better optically as well as a bit wider, and the Sigma has a zoom lock to prevent creep. Both are a little under $500 and are likely to last longer than the lens you and I have.

8. Don.....
    as was said above
    first of all.... i'm so sorry about the loss of your dad
    my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

2.... i hope that your brother's hand heals completely... quickly

3.... sorry about the lens

9. How about buying insurance from a third party camera insurer? Wait a few weeks then claim your lens damage on that?

10. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    insurance fraud:Angry:

11. iShoot

iShoot

Feb 1, 2008
    Stockton,CA
    Do I need to send it to Neville? If so any one have the number?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2008
  12. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    Sorry you are having a bad time Don-- and in these situations, and the loss of your father, there is very little that words can do to help out. But perhaps in the case of the lens you can check with your mom and see what types of riders she has on home insurance. Perhaps you have something like "COMPUTER ENDORSEMENT CLAUSE" which covers your computer equipment and by derivative also your lens? That's what happened to me earlier this year with my 24-70mm. If she doesn't have the rider, you may have to pay up this time, but if it is a financial possibility for your family, maybe even something you could pay for yourself, you might as your mother if she could add a 'valuable personal property' rider to your renter's or homeowner's insurance for the minimum amount to cover your equipment. Using my rates as an estimate, the coverage is $14 per $1000 worth of equipment, with a minimum somewhere around $3000 I think. That's only about $42+ per year to be covered for accidental damage, theft, whatever.

Just an idea. Keep us posted on how you fare, and if you have to get a new lens, be sure to check out the For Sale Forum here, where you can find good prices from honest people!

k

13. I agree with K. Even if it's a total loss, you'll find a great deal here on a used one. No need to buy new, just make sure you sign up for proper insurance to cover it all from the get go.

14. iShoot

iShoot

Feb 1, 2008
    Stockton,CA
    Anyone know where I can reach nikon's number? I'm in California if that makes any difference.

15. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi don-

you can find more information here http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Nikon-Service-Information.page and their contact info is here http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Contact-Nikon-Support.page, service and repair support 1-800-645-6678 24/7.

there's a service center in el segundo in socali, so you shouldn't have to send the lens all the way to NY.

ricky

16. iShoot

iShoot

Feb 1, 2008
    Stockton,CA
    Thanks! Helps alot!

17. Don;

My sympathies to you and your family on the loss of your father.

You might check your records and see how you paid for the lens. Some credit cards will cover accidental damage for the first year. It's worth a try. Good luck and I hope things look up.

18. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Hi Don,
    Sorry to hear of the loss of your dad.

You got some good advice here on the cafe regarding the lens, I hope it works out for you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.