Harmony Animal Park, Saturday

Discussion in 'Birds' started by cmpalmer, Oct 31, 2005.

1. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    Here are a few pictures I took this Saturday at the Harmony Wild Animal Park. This is a cageless, drive through animal park near my house. It was a great day for driving around, feeding the animals, and shooting pictures. The only drawback was the emus. Everytime you stop, they come and try to stick their heads in the car and if your windows are up, they'll peck the windows. It was like Jurassic Park.

We established a routine: stop, roll one window down and throw out food (dried corn supplied by the park), then quickly roll the other window down and start taking pictures while everyone else in the car was on emu watch.

Strangely enough, I got a lot of good pictures but didn't get a single picture of an emu. Serves them right.

Llama:
    57591323_5c8413caae.

Zebra (this is the same one that Leigh Bramlett took such a cool picture of a while back):
    57587865_7868c0b0e6.

Sheep:
    57576812_c306b55dae_b.

Hmm, I've got two other good ones, but they didn't seem to have uploaded... I'll get them tonight.

Bigger pictures on my Flickr account (see sig)

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice pics Chris. I should have gone down there with you. My Saturday was mostly a bust, even though I drove over to Wheeler NWR twice (it was closed at 6:35 Sat morning, and there were no birdies there Sat pm :cool:). I did get a few shots at the pond, but not that many. :mad:

3. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    Here are the other ones:

58365078_91185e8aa4.

58364358_f99b05f4e4.

58363591_25635dac54.

4. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Some fine shots of some interesting looking animals
    like that last wooly buffalo, very cool
    thanks for sharing

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Really nice images. Looks like some tough lighting you had.

The second set that last guy stole my hair doo...lolol
    I like him.

6. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    Well, I'm still learning and these were taken from inside a vehicle, in bright sunlight combined with harsh shadows (midday) while dodging emus. A few were just "snapshots to remember the animals by" and were taken through the window, so I couldn't even keep the flash active for filling in the shadowy ones. I also had four rather excited kids in the van with us bouncing around from side to side to get a better view. It was a fun trip...

The pony's eye you commented on was while he had his head stuck in my window nudging me for more corn, so it was practically a macro...

7. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Chris,

We love that Park. Was the Camel around? I heard that it was ill.

The Camel and the Emu's will definately get in the car with you. My kids, and leigh didn't like that too much. :)

We always comment on that freaky eyeball that horse has. It is wierd for sure.

Thanks for sharing,

8. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    Yeah, I had heard that about the camel. He (she?) was there, but was in a separate fence, so I supposed it was not feeling well.

We'll definitely go back sometime, but it may be next year. It is only open for the rest of November then re-opens in the spring.