Harriman State Park

Our snowshoeing destination was not Harriman State Park today. But we ended up there because the highway was closed to our original destination. It was a lucky series of events because Harriman was beautiful today. The snow is about 4 feet deep there now. I'm feeling very blessed that with the pandemic, we still have some amazing places to visit close to home. Hopefully you are all finding ways to get out and enjoy nature. I've photographed this place a lot in the winter before. So today I tried to use my longer zoom more to get a different view of things. I'm very happy with the kit lenses on the Z50 for a hiking kit. It's so lightweight and the IQ is perfectly acceptable to me.

The drive there was a bit scary. But as soon as we got there the snow stopped.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

There weren't as many swans today.

The new snow made for lots of beautiful details.

Near Railroad Ranch where the Herriman family housed the ranch workers.

Lots of snow at the ranch

The horse corrals were filled with snow.

Silver Lake Inlet

Swans looking for food in the unfrozen sections of Silver Lake

Silver Lake Outlet

Grain silos on the way home. I liked the colors on them today.

Considering that amount of snow, it's no wonder why the pitch of the roofs is so steep!

Very enjoyable set, Terri! You dabble every once in awhile in monochrome, so consider converting Silver Lake Inlet (my favorite of the set) and the photo of the silos. My hunch is that Inlet will be just as good in monochrome as in color and that the photo of the silos will be better in monochrome.

Beautiful Terri. I see you guys got hit pretty hard as well. Stay safe, beautiful images.(y)
It has been an active weather pattern in February. But we are grateful for the snow. Living in a high country desert you appreciate any moisture you get. Of course the mountains always get more than we do here, but we need a lot of snow pack to fill the reservoirs and replenish the aquifer. There have been a lot of people killed in avalanches here the past couple of weeks. We don’t go to those unsafe areas.

Great stuff Terri. We've never been through there in the winter. Looks like a good place to snowshoe. Do people cross country ski there as well?
Thank you so much. It is a very popular cross country ski area. Most of the people you see there are on skis. I prefer to snow shoe because I have some minor balance issues, but I’m always a bit jealous of the increased distances that the skiers can cover.

Another beautiful set. I would like to visit there, but I don't think I can stand the cold.
We are used to the cold so I don’t know how someone used to the heat would do. But we actually got too warm yesterday. If you have the right gear it makes all the difference.

Nice set, Terri. You made the most of the fresh snow.
Thank you, Dan. We were happy to be out when it was so pretty.

Beautiful scenes Terri.
Thank you, Walter. It is beautiful. We are never there at sunrise and sunset, but try to enjoy photographing the area anyway.

Considering that amount of snow, it's no wonder why the pitch of the roofs is so steep!

Very enjoyable set, Terri! You dabble every once in awhile in monochrome, so consider converting Silver Lake Inlet (my favorite of the set) and the photo of the silos. My hunch is that Inlet will be just as good in monochrome as in color and that the photo of the silos will be better in monochrome.
Thank you, Mike. Those houses are old and they used to be lived in all winter by the ranch hands. I guess they knew what they were doing back then. I’ll try some monochrome. That will be a fun project to work on.

Really nice set of Terri.
Well done.
Thank you so much.

I like all of these Terri. Very nice indeed. Lots more Christmas cards!
If only I was ambitious enough to send out Christmas cards...... Thank you so much!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom