Harris Hawk, BIF

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Baywing, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Well, now that I know I am capable of getting a sharp BIF shot, it's time to work on increasing the odds of that happening. I had a really DOH! moment (actually, it was DOH! day) and forgot to set up the D2x properly. The result was almost all OOF shots, except this one. I like the shot, other than the angle, I would have liked to have seen it from more of a front view, maybe next time. I think I'm going to start writing settings down and run thru a pre-flight (pun intended!) checklist before shooting BIFs.
    D2x, 300 f4 AFS

2. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    Nice shot, especially the sharpness of the face.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice shot

I have had several of those days Bay:>))))))

4. Baywing I can tell you right now ===writing things down don't work as I always forget where I left them. :biggrin::biggrin: Nice photo of the Harris good looking bird.
    Lou

5. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Very nice shot.

I write down settings and carry them in my camera bag always. The first time I shot a baseball game, I came here to NikonCafe, searched through the Sports Photography until I found where someone had posted their settings, and then it took me 45 minutes of reading my instruction manual to match those settings. The second baseball game I attended with my camera, it only took me about 15 minutes to match the settings, still reading the instructions. Next time I plan on doing it without the instructions or the manual; I hope to break the 10 minute mark, too.

Of course, now if someone could be there always to remind me to remove the lens cap, I'd have it made, sorta.

6. Good looking bird and a very nice capture

7. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks everyone. I'm not sure what to do about the camera and lens settings. I'm very faithful about returning things to my default settings before the camera goes into the bag. Guess it's because I don't shoot BIF often enough, I don't routinely adjust the AF mode, just leave it in single sensor. For the BIfs I seem to do better with dynamic, one click up, just can't seem to remember to make that change. Everything else gets done, ISO, AF-C, sensor set to center and locked. I'd like to blame it on advancing age, but ........anyway, thanks to all who took the time to comment.
    Nightwing is great to work with, very predictable, which should help. I'll just have to try again, maybe some practice in the mean time if I can find a local area that comes close to replicating the scenario.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.