Harry P. Leu Gardens, Orlando, FL

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by Kevin Scott, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Harry P. Leu was an Orlando native who built a successful business and promoted Central Florida. Over 25 years, he and his wife traveled the world collecting exotic plants. He purchased the property in 1936 but its origins go back to 1888. The property was donated to the city of Orlando in 1961 with very strict conditions of its usage. He created a nearly 50 acre garden on the shores of Lake Rowena.

It's well worth a stop for anyone visiting Orlando. Admission is very inexpensive at only $5.

Here is a view of one of the walkways:
    [​IMG]

Many different exotic plants can be found there such as this:
    [​IMG]

Common flowers can also be found there like this Peace Lily:
    [​IMG]

And flowers with very interesting colors such as this Jungle Geranium:
    [​IMG]

I've posted some samples from these gardens in the Macro galleries and will be posting more in the days to come. The Rose Garden alone is half the size of a football field. I'll definitely be going back more to visit.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful Kevin,

I have heard about Leu gardens.

3. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Very nice, Kevin!

Those are beautiful shots. I had never heard of Harry P. Leu Gardens until this post. This will definately be added to my places to visit list, especially at $5.

We are always looking for places to visit on the weekend. This past weekend we visited the Mote Aquarium in Sarasota. Luckily we got in free (thanks to being Florida Aquarium members) because IMO it was not worth the price of admission, $15/adult and I think $10/child.

Joe

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    One of my favorite places to visit. Cheap and ever-changing.