Hartwell Winery

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Backdoctor, Oct 23, 2005.

1. as I sit here waiting for Wilma to arrive, I figure I'd better post these. May not have the chance for a while.. :frown:

This place is by appt. only. they do tours/tastings maybe 3 days a week, at most twice daily. Now that sounds a bit stuffy, but they do take their wine seriously, yet were one of the nicest wineries to visit. Very nice tour and, the tasting, well lets get on with it...

The facility, simply stunning to visit. You call in and they open the gate. We were there early so I shot some shots from outside the gate:
    original.
    original.
    They are off the Silverado Trail, which is one of two main north/south roads thru napa county. Less trafficed, but worth the ride:
    Those grapes are cabernet sauvignon, this year the harvest was late. Seems most vineyards had about 50% harvested, when most years at this time they are crushing or done with the crush:
    original.
    original.
    Once in, Kevin greeted us and took us for a tour, teaching us about their way of making wine. They actually cut off 20-30% of the grape clusters from the vine to fall on the ground not to use. They cut ones where bugs or birds pecked a few grapes in the cluster. They feel this makes the other grapes on the vines that much better. Who am I to argue, their wines were incredible. Here is Kevin giving us the tour, the facility is to the right, built into the mountain, with vineyards all around up and downthe slopes:
    original.
    heres a shot in the other direction:
    original.
    here they are sorting stems out I believe:
    original.
    here is the walk to the tasting room, thru the wine caves:
    original.
    here is where we did the tasting:
    original.
    It was very elegant, and they paired three cheeses with three wines:
    original.
    Kevin was an excellent guide and host. One of the best tours we've taken in the wine country:
    original.
    I used auto wb but favored incandescent in pp'ing, and cooled it down some.

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    what a fun trip that must've been. Thanks for sharing the virtual tour with us. Now, take care of yourself, and fingers crossed we still got our family, our homes, and whatever else we hold dear after Wilma blows through. And, thank you SO MUCH for getting my storm shutters up today. You're a great friend!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Oh Harris I love that image of the Grapes. Wow that s pretty.

My Grandpa had grape arbors, 2 of them.. Boy what a nice memory.

Thanks.

whats the conditions down there ...

4. Nothing going on down here yet. We're sitting, waiting and some are drinking wine....

5. Not a problem Steve, wish I coulda done more...

6. I love to tour wineries and I don't even drink. Your virtual tour was fun and your images well done. Thanks.

7. Thanks Gordon. We went to big operations, and mom and pop one. Will post more as soon as I can, and include the smaller operations..

8. Very classy... Harris... just hope these fine cabernet sauvignon were not affected by Wilma...

9. The wine is safe! Whew! :cool:

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;