has anyone ever downgraded?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zack baldwin, Apr 30, 2007.

1. zack baldwin

zack baldwin

Apr 30, 2007
    NC
    ABout 3 months ago I bought a d80 with 18-135 kit, a 50mm f/1.8, and a sigma 70-300 apo dg. I went way overboard. Now ive figured out that dlsrs arent for me, so i think i might downgrade back to my point and shoot...i know, im stupid. but i was wondering if anyone else has done this before?

2. Logan

Logan Guest

once i got my DSLR i never looked back, maybe you could look at a d40 with 18-200 VR, essentially an advanced PS

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    DSLR and never looked back.....
    P&S are ok to carry around. But when something special or important, need speed and fast action P&S just won't do it for me.
    I was just forced to learn it or lose great opportunities.

Yes it is a learning curve. But doable.

I can not speak for others and what they like though. It is what makes you happy and comfortable

4. zack baldwin

zack baldwin

Apr 30, 2007
    NC
    for me its just the amount of money it costs for what seems like little difference in the end result..

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    The end result for me is huge....Soooo much better

6. zack baldwin

zack baldwin

Apr 30, 2007
    NC
    where do you see a huge improvment?? (just curious)

7. I got my D50 last year and haven't regretted it once! I would suggest you give it some time, and learn how to use all the settings on your camera. I can say since Frank (eng45ine) taught me how to use the EV settings and other features of my camera, I've been having more and moe fun - getting better and better at photography. My photos are selling, and it's because i've had wonderful help here on the cafe! Why not let some of our wonderful members help you!?

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I had the once in a lifetime opportunity to photograph 4 baby White Bengal tigers. Held one also.
    Was shooting with a P&S and the lag time was horrible. Those little guys are fast and do not stay still.
    I wanted a D100 befor I bought my NIKON CP5000, which is a good camera.
    But could not afford the D100 at the time it was 2500 dollars.

Well so much for all the great photos I thought I was going to get. Most of my tiger pics were blurred from camera movement, shuuter lag etc.

A few months later they lowered the price on the D100 .
    I got it
    Then I found out I like wildlife and birds. The D100 was to slow.
    So now I have a D200.
    Speed and the ability to capture the image is very important to me.

By the way I was 61 when I started photography. I will be 65 in june.
    Thats my story.......

One of the few that turned out ok

10. zack baldwin

zack baldwin

Apr 30, 2007
    NC
    what specifically do you think is that much better??(out of curiosity)

11. zack baldwin

zack baldwin

Apr 30, 2007
    NC
    scratch that last one.lol. sorry

12. Hey Diane,

Was Frank's help via e-mail/pm or over the phone? Just wondering if there was anything you could share with the rest of us that wouldn't involve Frank calling several members! :biggrin: Not that he would mind helping a fellow guinea, I just didn't want to bother him.

13. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

14. zack baldwin

zack baldwin

Apr 30, 2007
    NC
    Yes, help would be great!

and thanks for everybodys input.
    I know that if i could afford it dlrs would be amazing...but im going to school in the fall, and after buying and seeing what it takes just to get some p&s features is discouraging.
    I know p&s obviously wont be as good as a well-used dslr, but for now I think ill be happy with the results i can get from something cheaper
    (after all, some shots from p&s's are so close to those from dslr's its hard to discern)

-zack

15. zack baldwin

zack baldwin

Apr 30, 2007
    NC
    I want dlrs to be for me...but my life is too crazy and im in too much need of money to take the learning climb :frown: maybe someday ill have the time to make this more of a priority. I was just stupid and dove right in...

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    You could take a photography coarse in college:>)))

17. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Zack: If you aren't comfortable with a DSLR, then your shots won't be that great. You need to have your heart into it....doing it 1/2 way will show up as less than desirable results. Getting a DSLR is a big step...bigger than some think.

The post process work alone can be daunting....necessary for that "professional" edge, but a commitment in time and money to get that absolute zinger of a shot.

Dragging a bunch of gear around can get old if you aren't into it.... you can mess up one setting in the menus and viola! all your shots for the day are trash :)

To answer your question....if you feel overwhelmed with what you have right now in the D80....swap it out for an easier model to digest...If the size thing doesn't bother you, sell the body and learn a D50 or D40...

If the camera is just "too big" well, a point and shoot cane do some pretty good things if handled correctly and maybe a place to start.....

As for what you see different....things will be hard ot see on the internet, but image detail, color and clarity using quality optics and a properly managed pro DSLR will be remarkable better in print than any Point & shoot

(Note I said "properly managed DSLR"...I have seen some well handled P&S smoke a poorly exposed DSLR print....but that's user induced)

18. zack baldwin

zack baldwin

Apr 30, 2007
    NC
    Thank you Randy.
    I do feel like dslr is too much for me. I have gotten very good results from p&s in the past, and I think for now that is more my style. I feel like im throwing away a great opportunity, but like you said, it wont make a difference if i cant put my heart into it right now.

19. zack baldwin

zack baldwin

Apr 30, 2007
    NC

I dont know if im gonna want to do that the first year. I might change my mind, but for now, I need the money to get there.lol

20. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    We have some folks here that have P&S cameras
    So hope you sill stay with us..
    You can still learn lots of great things here on photography. There are also alot of young folks here just like yourself sturggling through school.
    So you have a great bunch of folks and support group when you need us.
    Your education is very important and cameras will always be around when your ready:>))))))