Has anyone seen this before?

Hello all,

I've started seeing strange artifacts when scanning with my Nikon Coolscan V ED. The attached image the same frame scanned with the film inserted in the alternate direction for the right pic.

coolscan_v_problem.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I think the scanner needs a trip to Nikon for service but before I send it I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks,
Chris

Perhaps, depending on age, your scanner is due for a cleaning job by Nikon.
Anyways, keep it covered when not in use.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Sorry for the slow reply. I posted the same question on rangefinderforum.com and had quite a few responses that indicated it was either the scanner flaring or a dirty mirror or a combination of the two. I took the scanner apart and cleaned the mirror but it didn't fix the problem.

I ordered the Nikon FH-3 film holder (which I didn't know existed) and the problem is gone on *almost* every negative that had the issue. It seems as thought the Nikon scanners are prone to flaring and there's only so much you can do.

Here's the same neg scanned with the Fh-3

fh-3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here's a lik to the discussion on rangefinderforum.com:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109949

Can you tell me the steps you take to scan negative strips? I just seem to get my V to work right. Also, is there a forum some where on the net that can help? I've been told the problem is Windows 7 but doubt that.

Latest threads

Top Bottom