Has anyone sent a camera to Nikon for repair recently?

...I mean very recently, like within the last 2 months. Specifically, to the Melville, NY repair center. If so, was it a SLR and how long was it once Nikon received your package that they looked at the camera and communicated with you what the problem was and what they intended to do about it?

Ok then...now I'm feeling a little disrespected...LOL 9 days over the Christmas break??? My new V1 has been there since Dec 19 and STILL not a peep about what the problem might be or what they're going to do about it. I'm calling again today, but Tuesday they said they still have no info and to wait a few more days. I'm getting very frustrated.

PROBLEM 1: Camera would not power on unless you removed the battery for a few seconds, then reinsert the battery. It did this 10 times or more. There was no pattern as to when this problem would occur, but it was becoming more and more frequent. Normally it did this after the camera was sitting overnight.

PROBLEM 2: Camera developed a deep red/pink high contrast color cast across the entire LCD and electronic viewfinder. This did not affect the photos, but it made the camera unusable since you could no longer tell what your photos looked like.

I'm not one to whine or complain when there's no reason to but this is really starting to bug me. At the very least, they could give me an honest answer as to the true status of my camera. Are they totally backed up and too busy to get to it? Are they not sure what's wrong with it and are still checking? I mean, what? At the moment I have zero info on what's going on and that's the most frustrating thing to me. Not knowing. I think they at least owe me an explanation about what's going on. The people you talk to have no clue unless a tech enters something in the system for them to read back to me. I think in the past you used to be able to talk directly to the repair center but now you just get an anonymous call center rep that knows nothing but what they see on their screen. They can get no first-hand info...or so they say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I just called them to see what the scoop is. I got the very same response. Camera is being evaluated to determine the problem. That's the same answer I got at the end of last week, so I suspect the guy is reading from the same script as the person I talked to last week. Each time I talk to someone, they seem confused and baffled at the amount of time it's been with no updates. The guy did mention it was a new product (as in newly released), implying that maybe it's new to the techs and they're not sure what's wrong with it yet. I can understand that, but at the same time, how long do you make a customer wait before you just go ahead and offer them a new replacement? Mine was only about 2 months old. They're welcome to keep my broken one if they want to tinker with it for a few more weeks...but in the meantime, I would like a camera. I don't think that's unreasonable. This guy today says he'll update me by email within 24 hours after they contact the repair center to get an update. I've heard that before (twice) and no one has ever followed through with their promise of an update. I had a good experience with my D200 I sent to them a few years back. This time around with the V1 though, it's not working out so well.

Good news....got home today to find the camera sitting on my porch. Bad news is, they still haven't given me any info on what was wrong (but maybe they don't feel obliged to do that for warranty work) and they scratched the paint on the edge of the camera in front of the shutter button. Not too bad, but I noticed it immediately. Oh well....it works fine so hopefully that's the last time I ever have to send it to them. ;-)

Latest threads

Top Bottom