Has anyone shot...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by PJohnP, Jul 1, 2008.

1. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    ... the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 lens on a D3 as yet ? I'm quite curious about just how this lens will play on a full-frame Nikon DSLR.

John P.

2. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
  3. My favorite of all the 12-24 offerings. An award winning lens that film shooters liked and I'm not surprised to see how nice the images from the Canon and the D3 are. Thanks for the link Peter.

4. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
  5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Thanks everyone for the links.

I've been shooting with the 12-24mm f/4 DX for years, and I find it's "just about" wide enough for me most of the time, although I occasionally chafe a bit with it. I know that when I make the transition to FF, I can use my 17-35mm f/2.8 and get about the same WA, but I've been intensely curious about the Sigma 12-24mm.

As I expected, at 12mm on a FF DSLR, there's a pretty significant distortion effect, but then, that's pretty much fisheye territory anyway, so I shouldn't be surprised. Indeed, it's a fair comment that the distortion is so well controlled for that degree of wide-angle. It obviously does get that bit further than the Nikon 14-24mm, costs less, and for the most part, I'd be shooting it stopped down for DOF anyway.

However, I look over my 12-24mm DX lens shots, and I see that I don't shoot exclusively at 12mm, actually spanning the FL range pretty well in my work. While I occasionally chafe with not getting more WA, I obviously don't need just the widest end of the zoom.

Has anyone seen or taken photos with the Sigma 12-24mm at other FLs than 12mm ? I'd be curious to see just how it works.

TIA.

John P.