1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Has anyone sold their D300 to Adorama?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by MD2595, Aug 19, 2009.

1. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    I've been looking at getting the D700. I'm in the process of selling my old truck to a young man, but he's saving up the purchase price. I was going to buy the D700 with part of the monies, but I called Adorama and they said that the average D300 is going for $1,000.

Mine is in OUTSTANDING shape (always in my bag, never abused, etc...) and I'm really looking at selling it to them and getting around $1,000 off the new D700.

Buying a D700 for $1,400 would be a treat!

Has anyone done this before? Any do's or don'ts?

TIA

2. I would think you could make more selling to a private party. Much like selling a car. Try the for sale forum here.

3. ^ I agree.

Put it up on FM, or even craigslist. Heck i'd be interested, i need a second body for my girlfriend.

4. goffer

goffer

Nov 22, 2007
    San Diego
    i sold my D300 in mint shape for $1300 on ebay... i see them on the cafe selling for $1100-$1300. If money is tight I suggest selling it yourself, but if you can afford a couple 100's and would like the peace of mind of not getting ripped off, sell it to adorama.

5. It'd probably be a good idea to do it soon, when the D300s starts hitting the market, i hope it drives down the price of used D300's so i can pick up another one.

6. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    Yea, not a fan of Ebay. I would prefer to sell it local for cash if possible. A $1,100 hit wouldn't kill me, but it would make me want to hunt someone down and maim them. I'd have to work a few part time jobs to make up the difference.

Since the Nikon rebate ends August 31st, I'm sure they are trying to clear the shelves of current stock before releasing the D700s/x and D300s. I'd want to grab a D700 before the possible release of a movie version, because I have absolutely no interest in movie mode.

7. AEDigman

AEDigman

Jan 23, 2007
    West Virginia
    Just to help get a good deal, you may also want to see what KEH would buy it for.

http://www.keh.com

I've dealt with them and they're nice, honest folks.

Best of luck!

8. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX

I just registered with KEH and the online qoute is $805 and they are turning around and selling it for $1,299. Hmmmm, seems like they are making a hell of a profit.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2009
  9. If you can get $1000 from Adorama I'd do it and be done with. Sometimes selling to a stranger can be a real pain and may not be worth the extra $100 or so.

10. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    My thoughts exactly. I can work OT or grab a part time job and easily cover the $100-200 difference.

I was just wondering if anyone here had done this before and what their results were.

11. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    I've sold to B&H in the past. You do take a hit on the price, but it sure is easy. It was worth it to me, not to have to deal with selling it outright.

12. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    I went ahead and shipped it to Adorama today with a pre-paid UPS label.

If I don't like their offer, they will ship it back for free.

I took a bunch of pics before I packed it so I could document how good of a condition it was in.

I had kept the box, all wrappers, paperwork and even the black tie that was used to bind the power cord for the battery charger. I'd never used the cables, so they were still in new condition.

13. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    UPS says that Adorama should get this Tuesday.

I hope they say that they got in good condition, because this is how it looked when I sent it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    It arrived today. I called and was told that it should be looked at today or tomorrow, then they will contact me.

15. be careful, what Adorama did not say is that their offer is about 70% of the going market value.....ask me how I know :rolleyes: 

I told them to ship my equipment back....

16. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX

Frank told me that if it was in good shape, they would offer $1,000. He said nothing about offering $700. If that's the case, I'll think just have them send it back.

17. AEDigman

AEDigman

Jan 23, 2007
    West Virginia
    Agreed....awfully low.

18. Ronald M

Ronald M

Nov 10, 2008
    Chicago
    Around 65% of retail has been the standard for used camera gear for decades. The 30% is not profit for they have to cover taxes, rent, employees, and lost investment opportunity while the money is tied to used equipment.

Look at it this way, you used it two years for x dollars. Or buying and selling is the way to the poorhouse. Now if you put 100,000 pics on it profesionally, then you got your moneys worth.

19. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    Professionally? Hardly!

I'm just a dad that loves taking pics of his older son's hockey/football and younger son's baseball. Sure I've sold a few pics, but I couldn't quit my job because of it. Shutter count is somewhere around 24k.

65% of retail would still be over $1150. I'd be happy with just $1000.

20. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    One has to factor in what these large volume retailers like Adorama and BH pay for a new one from the manufacturer.

They are not going to offer you price for a used body when they can get it for a few dollars more new and sell it at a higher markup.

Its been my experience that one is looking to see equipment, go to ebay, the cafe, or craigs.

It will be interesting to see what they actually offer :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.