Has anyone tried both Nikon 24-70 & Tamron 24-70 VC, and preferred the Tamron?

Has any of you tried both and preferred the Tamron? If so, what was the primary reason - IQ, VC etc? Appreciate your inputs.

Last edited by a moderator:
as an owner of the excellent Nikkor 24-70 i have to ask why would you even want to try one of the third party offerings :confused:

as an owner of the excellent Nikkor 24-70 i have to ask why would you even want to try one of the third party offerings :confused:

Maybe because not everyone views/sees/values things the same way...:confused:

The Nikon 24-70 is now doubt a stellar lens - just wondering if the Tamron, which is about $500 cheaper, is in the same league... plus it has VC, which I'm interested in.

I don't think that anyone who has Nikon 24-70 would change it for a Tamron lens. Better qiestion is, How many bought Tamron lens instead of Nikon? Tamron is a lot cheaper and has VC.

Because the Nikon 24-70 costs a boat load of money and doesn't have VR.

yes but the original question suggested you already had the Nikkor but then for some reason felt the need to try another lens.....

if you've already got it then surely the cost of the lens isn't an issue :confused:

and no i'm not a lens snob, i have an excellent Tamron 17-55 that i use on DX
(even though the focus seems slow after the Nikkor 17-55 :tongue:)

The question is strange and probably uncommon, but that doesn't mean people haven't done it...especially if VR/VC is important to them.

The question is strange and probably uncommon, but that doesn't mean people haven't done it...especially if VR/VC is important to them.

You're right - I re-stated the question in a better way... thanks. But even if people prefer VC, the IQ has to be close enough otherwise it doesn't matter, right?

You're right - I re-stated the question in a better way... thanks. But even if people prefer VC, the IQ has to be close enough otherwise it doesn't matter, right?

The Tamron has more distortion, is softer, and has onion bokeh, why would you want it with the Nikon 24 70?

The Tamron has more distortion, is softer, and has onion bokeh, why would you want it with the Nikon 24 70?

I owned, used and loved the Nikon 24-70. However, it suffers from its share of distortion issues. If Photozone can be believed, the new Tamron is slightly better than the Nikon in this area. Also, cameralabs and DXO were favorably disposed toward the Tamron. I would say it is at least worth a look and appears to be a very good lens.

I owned, used and loved the Nikon 24-70. However, it suffers from its share of distortion issues. If Photozone can be believed, the new Tamron is slightly better than the Nikon in this area. Also, cameralabs and DXO were favorably disposed toward the Tamron. I would say it is at least worth a look and appears to be a very good lens.

You'll have to excuse him, he's so biased towards Nikon he'd shoot with the Nikon coffee mug before considering a 3rd party lens.

From Photozone.de: Nikon 24 70: 3% barrel @ 24mm, .5% pincushion @ 70mm, Tamron 24 70: 3.8% barrel @ 24mm, .9% pincushion at 70mm.

From Photozone.de: Nikon 24 70: 3% barrel @ 24mm, .5% pincushion @ 70mm, Tamron 24 70: 3.8% barrel @ 24mm, .9% pincushion at 70mm.

Also from Photozone"

"The Tamron lens has only a slight amount of field curvature throughout the zoom range. This is certainly an advantage compared to the Nikon AF-S 24-70/2.8, which has a somewhat "wavy" image field."

and

"regarding the sum of its qualities it is a worthy competitor for Nikon's AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8 lens. In any case it is very hard to beat from a price perspective!"

We can all go to our favorite sites and cherry-pick quotes that feed our confirmation bias. Or, we can look at the total picture, using an open mind and all available data to make our choices.

For another perspective, here is the DXOMark test: http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Tamron-SP-24-70mm-f-2.8-Di-VC-USD-review-A-uniquely-versatile-pro-worthy-alternative

From their conclusion:

"The Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD is in the top three best performing high-speed standard zooms currently available. We’ve only looked at the imaging performance, but it’s as impressive optically as the highly regarded Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8G ED."

We can all go to our favorite sites and cherry-pick quotes that feed our confirmation bias. Or, we can look at the total picture, using an open mind and all available data to make our choices.
That's not how he works...you'll be speaking to deaf ears.

However, I appreciate your real world experience vs. this need to believe everything a test site posts.

:cool:

Slightly OT from the specific question that OP asked, but on-topic concerning the availability of 3rd party lenses that are as good as the equivalent Nikkors: I had a love affair with my Nikkor 17-55 used on both my D200 and D300. I sold it in a brief fling with "prime-purity", regretted the sale after a year or so and went looking for a good used copy. When I could not find one and when another paid gig loomed, I purchased a Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC Macro. My son still has the lens (and the D300s). It was in all ways the equal of the 17-55 and was sharper at the edges and had, to my eye, better contrast when pixel peeping. A splendid lens and a bargain to boot.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom