Has anyone tried the Nikon AH-4 hand grip?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by SRA, Aug 13, 2005.

1. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    I am looking to try out the AH-4 hand grip by Nikon. Has anyone tried it on their D2x? Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

2. bgeorge

bgeorge Guest

AH-4

I have the hand grip. Little ackward to get your hand in at first. I don't like how it positions you hand, but each person would have to fit it to themselves.

3. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    I'm just looking for some support of my camera. I believe the grip will allow me to use a little more energy on the subject and not holding this beast. :?

4. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Re: AH-4

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to find a place to try one before I commit.

5. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    I used on eon my film camera and then later on my D2h, i have to admit i never really got on with it, but i do suggest you go to a shop and try it and see if it suits you.

Cheers

6. Scott,

The Nikon AH4 strap
    I did not like the way it wrapped around my hand. I instead
    modified the strap from my Kodak 760 to fit my D2x (see link)
    The strap on the Kodak 660/760 was by far the best thing Kodak
    ever put on a digital SLR

https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=6853

Now I'm going to asume that you don't have a spare 760 strap kickin
    around so lets look at alternatives.

Markins also make a strap but you must use their plate for the
    bottom of their camera. and it is kind of pricey$$.
    http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/HS1.php

But short of that do a search on Ebay for nikon hand strap
    it will bring up a lot of different straps, for a lot less than Markins.
    Although the Markins looks really nice.

This style of handstrap on the camera is IMHO the most comfortable
    and most secure method of handholding the camera. With this setup your
    hand does not get fatigued after holding the camera for several hours.

Cheers,
    Robin

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. I have one, and with shorter lenses it works relatively well. The only real knock I have is that I like quick-release straps so that I can easily detach it, and that was not the simplest thing in the world to make happen. As I don't use it much anymore, if you are interested I could ship it off, you could play with it a bit, ship it back if you don't like it and then haggle over price if you do like it :lol: .

Geez, look at what the Cafe is doing to me. Never though I'd make an offer like that to someone I only know over the net. I like it!

If you are interested, drop me a PM or an email. The darn thing is small enough that shipping it off won't be much of a cost anyway.

8. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Robin,

I like what you did with the Kodak strap. It looks comfortable and clean. The base plate looks professional and well fitted. I viewed a pbf of the instructions for the Nikon strap and must say I was overwhelmed by its complexity... it's just a hand strap for pete's sake!

I am going to give the Markins strap a perusal, but I fear that the bottom plate and $$$ are going to make it impractical from a principle point of view.

Retief,

Thank you for your very kind offer. I am hesitant to accept the audition as no one has offered a resounding yea on this complicated apparatus. Perhaps if I cannot work with the other straps I may come back to this, if that is okay with you.

P.S. What do you, the hand strap users, do with you neck strap? Is it still connected to the other side, discarded or applied on certain events? Thanks again for all your support and advice.

9. No worries, I'm in no rush and it doesn't take up much space in the bag :wink: . As to the neck strap, I have replaced mine with an Optech which has quick disconnects. So I just take the bulk of the strap off when I attach the hand strap. And, yes, they are a touch complex. As well there is the issue of attachment of the bottom plate, which actually works much better when I take my fitted base plate off first.

Now, if you were just next door this would be SO much easier :lol: :lol:

10. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Robin,

I like the second style, I think I will give it a try. I appears simple, easy to use and quick.

Thank you for the research and information. Another reason this is a great forum.

11. I think the second one is the best also.
    Good Luck, and let me know how it works out.

Cheers,
    Robin

12. The second one will be TOO SMALL for D2X. I have purchased similar from ebay and they had to versions. One for D70 type camera and other for Pro or normal + grip cameras. Second one looks like hand grip for D70.

13. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Jay,

Thanks for the warning.