1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Has anyone used the Yongnuo 40mm?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by TetonTom, Nov 10, 2018.

1. TetonTom

TetonTom

Aug 28, 2008
    Colorado, USA
    Just wondering if anyone has any firsthand experience with the Yongnuo 40mm? Especially w/ a compact DX body?
    It’s only f/2.8, but I’d be tempted by the pancake form factor if it performs at all well.
    The $99 price tag is attractive, as well...
    Thanks for any thoughts!

2. Had the 35mm Yongnuo and it was decent optically, but the AF performance was slow when it worked, but often would have issues where it would hunt back and forth endlessly. Over it did that I needed to remove it from the camera and re-attach.

3. TetonTom

TetonTom

Aug 28, 2008
    Colorado, USA
    Thanks. Definitely not expecting miracles from this or other Yongnuo lenses. It’s only minimally smaller than the 35mm DX lens, so it would have to be at least as good for me to consider it.
    Just wish that in the nearly 20 years the Nikon DX has been a system, that they’d have given us a wide/normal pancake. I don’t think it pays to hope for this anymore...

4. Hopes are not very high considering the intro of the mirrorless Z system, now.

5. Last edited: Nov 14, 2018 at 11:34 AM
  6. Also consider the Nikon 40/2.8 micro. A bit more expensive but a very fine lens. I used one for the Octoberfest this year if you want to see examples.

7. That's hardly a pancake lens, though.

If money weren't an isssue there's the Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f2 SL-II

8. I agree, but it's about the same size as the 35/1.8 which you had mentioned.

Several years ago I was interested in the lens Andreas has recommended. Ron Reznick rates it highly and brought one along on a workshop I attended. But when I studied test reports I decided it wasn't that great.

A link to Ron's (dated) discussion of the lens.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018 at 11:09 AM
  9. I didn't mention any lens other than the Voigt.

10. Sorry, when you said 35 DX lens I assumed you meant the Nikon.

11. I didn't mention 35 DX lens either. I think you're referring to a post other than mine.

12. TetonTom

TetonTom

Aug 28, 2008
    Colorado, USA
    Thanks for all the input. I’m quite happy with the 35DX, just wishing that we had an AF lens in the same general focal range that had a more compact pancake-ish form factor. For my use, manual focus would be a deal breaker; I’d prefer crappy Yongnuo focus hunting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.