Has the recession made some of us better Photographers?

In the past, I would always look for ways to justify the latest and greatest photo toy. Many of us have cut back...way back based upon circumstances or out of caution. I really find myself not justifying buying "things" anymore, rather I look at the stuff that I have and work on becoming a better photographer. It's all about the image and not gear. The fact that I do not qualify to post in the "Sale" forum also helps as it is now a lot more difficult to "flip" gear.
Tom

In the past, I would always look for ways to justify the latest and greatest photo toy. Many of us have cut back...way back based upon circumstances or out of caution. I really find myself not justifying buying "things" anymore, rather I look at the stuff that I have and work on becoming a better photographer. It's all about the image and not gear. The fact that I do not qualify to post in the "Sale" forum also helps as it is now a lot more difficult to "flip" gear.
Tom

I am working on improving my technique but the recession has not deterred my spending where I pass up excellent deals on equipment. Re: the FS forum, there are more "feelers" and WTB posts than the past. Higher prices on new equipment has increased prices on used equipment too.

Hasn't changed my spending habits a bit. What has changed them is the fact that I've almost got everything I want with regard to gear.

And I'm still the same crappy photographer that I've always been.

Tom

Bingo!

I spent more money on gear this past year than previously my whole life. I put it on credit and only now just got it paid off, and even with the economy I'd do it again and have no regrets. We don't travel (although someday I'd like to) and we have a pretty simple lifestyle, so the camera has been a catalyst for finding interesting things going on in our own town. I love that! As far as becoming a better photographer, the best thing to make you a better photographer is a goal and time practicing to achieve it. I haven't been able to find a permanent job, so when I'm not working I go shoot. If I had a permanent job, I'd probably have more money but less time to practice. Dang! Wouldn't it be nice to have it both ways???:cool: Oh, well, we all need to be thankful for what we have and know we could be living elsewhere in poverty and oppression.

For me yes.. I learned how to use what I have to their full potential, instead of resorting to buying something new.

are we really in recession?

I acquired so much equipment that my accountant suggested starting a wedding photography business to write it off on taxes, so I did. In the past I invested all the profit back into equipment, computers, software and training. This year I need to quit buying stuff and pay myself. Starting the business turned out to be a good idea.

M

Merkin

I have become much more wary of hype, and much more careful to buy gear that is going to last a long, long time. I am taking more time to make decisions on purchases and then taking yet more time to find the absolute best price on whatever I decided on. At this point, I very nearly have all of my gear purchases for the next five years planned out, and in about one more year, I will finally have everything I need to do almost anything for once.

Latest threads

Top Bottom