Has this ever happened to you?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by RichNY, Sep 2, 2008.

1. RichNY

RichNY Guest

The day before I was leaving for two weeks in Europe I began calling car services and found out that it was going to cost me $200 to get to JFK airport which in my opinion was an absolutely ridiculous waste of money. I happened to check the Cafe's for sale forum while going thru this and noticed Ralph was selling his 400 f/2.8 VR and I met him when I purchased his SB-800s a month prior.

As I would much rather have a 400 f/2.8 VR than go to the airport in a private car I was able to cost justify the purchase to myself if I could convince him to take my girlfriend and me to the airport as part of the purchase price.

So... I now own a 400 and ended up spending as much getting to the airport as two weeks in Europe :biggrin:.

2. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Alrighty...:confused: But nonetheless a happy ending.:biggrin:

3. Lol!

Now that's funny! :biggrin: Excellent outcome.

4. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    I think my wife would have rather I took the car service.

5. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    At least you cost justified it (to yourself) :biggrin:

6. LOL :biggrin:

See, it's always OK to add new glass, no matter what :wink:

7. I hope that's a carry on!

8. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    haha... smooth move

9. Yeah, that kind of incident happens to me all the time. Sure it does.
    (Great story and outcome.)

10. now you KNOW that this thread appeals to ME
    I LOVE IT

11. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

ROTFL ...deal!

12. LOL...congrats and welcome back. Did you bring me some Budvar or Urquell? Can't wait to whip out the big boys and compare old to new...hey wait, that didn't sound right...nevermind...:redface:

13. RichNY

RichNY Guest

I was going to surprise you but I brought us back some Urquell. I had it in my camera bag which they caught at the x-ray machine and told me I couldn't carry on board. I had to take the beer back thru security and wrap it up and ship it in Val's carry on bag. The Urquell survived and will be ice cold by the time we shoot on Friday :biggrin:

14. RichNY

RichNY Guest

There is nothing quite like getting the feeling of getting this lens and then walking out the door for two weeks only minutes later w/o ever getting a chance to shoot a single frame- ugh!

15. Hey Rich,

Now that you're back I expect to see some amazing images from all that high end glass you own. :biggrin:

And when do we get to see images from your trip?