Has Your photo been used to reverse a call?

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Bear78, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Bear78

Bear78

Jul 26, 2008
    Colorado
    So at the last game the refs were in a horrible spot and called this down at the 1 yard line. I wouldn't have said anything but the ref coming down the side line was asking the other ref where to spot it and they were right in front of me. They started looking around and looked right at me so I showed my camera. They reversed the call but a penalty (holding) killed the TD.

I always try to be hidden and out of the way. That's why I will never use a flash.

[​IMG]

So has anyone here have this happen? Or have you started a controversy with a photo?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
  2. Nope,I keep to myself as I am documenting the game, not trying to change the outcome of a bad call.

3. Bear78

Bear78

Jul 26, 2008
    Colorado
    updated my original post :)

4. Nope, always stay away from the refs. You're there for photos, and like someone said, not there to change the game. It's also one way to have yourself not welcomed at a school in the future.

5. No, but at the last lacrosse game I went to, both officials missed an obvious goal. I was in the penalty box shooting and between periods the refs came over to me and whispered to me "was it in?" I told them it was, luckily the game was a blow out anyways and didn't matter.

6. Not in football however a sequence of shots taken during a flat track race leading up to a bad get off was used by the track referee to decide if the complaint lodged by the
    rider that fell was valid.

7. not me personally. But did you see this story about a photog helping get an Olympic medal reversed?

Note that the judgment wasn't based on the photo itself, but rather, it convinced the officials to look at the video of the contest and then make their determination.

8. kwf1

kwf1

Nov 15, 2007
    S. Florida
    I agree with Geoff, just because we have a camera, doesn't make us qualified to question calls.

I know most of the umpires and refs down here. They have asked me at times if I got the shot, and of course if I did and they made the correct call, I will show it to them, after an inning or play, always away from others. It only reconfirms it in their minds, that they are doing a good and very tough job.

On one particular night, the opposing team was giving the umpires a very hard time the entire game. Their runner was called out sliding into home. He was clearly out as he was tagged before touching home. In the photo you can see him sliding to the side of the plate as he was tagged, missed the plate and reached back to touch it with his hand as he went by. This was a 5 minute argument between the coaches and home plate umpire.

After the inning the umpire walked by and looked at me and I said in a low voice, "good call", he smiled and went on. The other coaches went on and on and one asked me if I got the play, I said I did and showed it to them, the one coach told another coach still rambling about it, that he saw the photo and their player was out. They kind of quieted down after that.

After the game, I showed the umpire the series of shots, he said that he knew he was right and asked me for the prints so that he could show the other umpires why proper positioning is important to see the play correctly. (he was the head umpire for the area and has been around baseball for years, he instructs new umpires in the in the little leagues) Of course, I gave him the prints at no charge.

I always seem to miss the shot of an bad call. :) (edited, can't seem to get the happy face in there. ack...)

The umpires and ref's have a hard enough job without me trying to point out their mistakes. You have to agree, sometimes the shot appeared to be different than what it was. We are not shooting video's and at times, a lot is missed between frames.

Bert

9. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    My job is to capture the essence of the sport -- I would never offer up an image to the referees
    There job is to call the game as they see it-- Some times bad calls are made but that is the nature of sport, they have other paid official eyes to confer with if there is an issue
    A picture is just a moment in time and often the whole story is not there

10. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Mark, well said. I NEVER show the play to the refs. I'm there documenting what happened. I've had refs ask me and my response is always the same. "Just call the game as best you can, I'll show you later...."

11. willsparklin

willsparklin Guest

That's my fear as well.

I personally like to chat with the officials during breaks (having them on your side is a good thing), but I never discuss things that happen during the game. I think if an official ever asked for my judgment I'd politely decline getting involved, especially if my camera shows that the call should be overturned.

12. Bear78

Bear78

Jul 26, 2008
    Colorado
    This is how I felt and why I brought up the questions. They asked me so I showed. They play did not matter due to the foul and at the time the white team was being shut out bad.

Looking back I would say no, I would differently say no if it was a critical play. But like said early I talk with the refs, coaches, players before the game to get a feel or if the refs have questions or requirements for me. Some refs only want you to stay in certain areas.

I have caught numerous bad calls (I'm always at the right place at the wrong time) but wait till I get home and post them. Then the fun begins.

I like what everyone is saying :smile:

13. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    Yes. It was last year and the ref's forgot what down it was for the opposing team. Our team was adamant that it was 4th, while the other team claimed it was 3rd.
    I had shots of every down and showed them that it was, indeed, 4th Down...you should have heard what the other team's coach was shouting.

14. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I've had photo evidence of some horrendous calls, but never offered the umpires my opinion nor pictures. (and they've never asked.)

I let the umpires call the game (softball) and they let me take the pictures.