Hasselbald Lenses

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by jon.oman, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Okay, I had to try this. I have owned a Hasselblad 501c medium format camera with the 80mm 'kit' lens for a number of years. I also have the Hasselblad (Carl Zeiss) Distagon 4/50 T* lens. This lens is 50mm/f4.

A couple of years ago, I purchased an adaptor for the Hasselblad lenses so that I could mount them on my Nikon D70/D200 cameras. For one reason or another, I never tested this until today.

Here is one shot at F4:

[​IMG]

For the full size SmugMug image go here:

http://jon-oman.smugmug.com/gallery/3268341/1/181103635#181103635-O-LB

Here is another shot at F8:

[​IMG]

For the full size SmugMug image go here:

http://jon-oman.smugmug.com/gallery/3268341/1/181103635#181105515-O-LB

I think this $3600.00 lens does very well with the D200!

I'm thinking that this lens would be great for pano shots!

Jon

2. Looks great!

Looks like a nice lens for sure.

I would love to see a picture of it mounted on your d200.

3. Here you go!

[​IMG]

Jon

4. galupi20

galupi20

Jun 12, 2006
    Hi Jon....I want to use my Mamiya 120mm F4 Macro with Nikon D200/D2hs or D2Xs.

1) Which adapter do you use ? or Can you recommend me one ?
    2) Can you tell me the Set Up of your camera while using this lens ?

Thanks a lot

Luis

5. I have done it too, back in the late 80's for the first time, with a Hasselblad T* 80mm Planar. I was thinking the same thing: "If this lens is so good for the 6X6 slide, just think how good its sweet spot would be for the 135..."
    A couple friends of mine have done it too during the 90's. Well, we all finally came with the same results: Great, but not spectacular. Our best Nikkor glass was always better (and there is an explanation for this). Not to mention the stop down diaphragm that you have to use. So... none of us really used this for actual picture taking. It is a very interesting test and surely nice looking combo though :smile:
    Thanks for sharing!

6. corea

corea Guest

I have some Mamiya glass, and I also wanted to use it with my D50. I bumped into these guys:

http://www.novoflex.com/english/html/products.htm

Click "adapters" and find your combination. There are no prices on their site, but I emailed them and asked about the price, and the Nikon to Mamiya adapter turned out to be around 350eur (I'm in Europe). So I decided to skip, and bought some 120 rolls... :) I figured that I wouldn't really use much those lenses that don't communicate at all with the camera, too much of a hassle having to set shutter and aperture manually for the exposure, and then focus manually... I rather use some other AF nikkor glass and concentrate on shooting (I use my d50 for walkaround and sometimes for concerts/clubs.. getting slowly into shooting food, but not quite there yet... anyway, I'm not a pro :) ). It would probably be a cool thing for shots where you have time to set-up everything before every shot...

7. I use an adaptor from these guys:

http://www.fotodiox.com/shop/

It was about $90.00 two or three years ago when I bought it.

Everything is set into manual.

I use a hand held meter.

I focus with the lens wide open, then stop it down with the DOF button on the lens. The lens shutter is in 'bulb'.

Jon

8. Since I am retired now, and can't afford the pro Nikon glass anymore, I'll use this lens when the need presents itself.

Jon

9. I was thinking of using it for pano's. I can set the focus to infinity, set the f-stop, close the lens down with the DOF button on the lens, and then shoot the series. I think it would do very well for this.

Jon

10. That is what I was thinking!

Jon

11. galupi20

galupi20

Jun 12, 2006
    Thanks a lot Jon

"...close the lens down with the DOF button on the lens. " Does it mean that you shoot "while" closing the lens with the DOF button ?

Luis

12. This Hasselblad lens has its own DOF switch on the lens. Normally the lens is wide open, but closes down automatically during the exposure, because of the linkage with the Hassy body. Since there is no Hassy body using the adaptor, this does not happen. The only way to get the correct f-stop with the adaptor, is to set and lock the DOF preview switch that is on the lens.

Jon

13. galupi20

galupi20

Jun 12, 2006
    Thanks again Jon...I will take a look what will happen with my Mamiya lens

Luis

14. No problems! I'm glad you are able to use the information.

Jon