Haswell MB Air performance

Today I got to run a benchmark on a standard 13" air. 1.3GHz, 4GB ram. It did have a 256GB SSD, but that's irrelevant. There is a thread here:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=91981

I put this file on the air and ran the benchmark to see how it would do. It ran the filter in 25.6 seconds. Sure, this doesn't compare to some of the crazy benchmarks in there, but this is a 15W dual core chip. I'm also guessing this benchmark is among the worst filters to run considering I ran it on my OLD AMD system and it took 70 seconds. None of my other filters took anywhere near that. So for normal uses? This is probably a very capable CPU.

I currently have a Lynnfield iMac (2.93GHz core i7-870, mid 2010). Quad core, 95W, damn this thing is HOT. I ran the same benchmark and it took 12 seconds on my iMac. All the sudden a laptop with a 12 hour battery life running this in 25 seconds doesn't sound so bad. That time will drop with the 1.7GHz CPU. I did look at available ram with only CS6 open after running this benchmark. 733MB. That's not a lot, so I think for photo editing purposes you really want 8GB of ram. Some may not consider that enough, and maybe it's not (especially if you are hammering D800 NEF's). My iMac only has 8GB and it's working just fine for me at the moment (D3 and D700 NEF's).

Anyway, just thought I'd share this. For my needs I think this Haswell 13" air is a pretty damn capable machine for the road. I'd bump it to the 1.7GHz CPU and 8GB of ram. SSD? Dunno. Still pondering that. You D800 owners are screwed and probably have to pony up for the 512GB SSD unless you bring along an external HD :biggrin: I get to use my whopping EPP discount (Intel employee) of 6%. Woohoo!

Food for thought if you were wondering. Now I just need to figure out if I can sync up a laptop and desktop with lightroom catalogs and all that garbage. Sometimes I really hate software :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pulled the trigger. Just got the 13" air with the 1.7GHz CPU and 8GB of ram, along with the 256GB SSD. This thing is gonna rock!

The benchmarks for the 1.7 i7 MBA look very good. I am giving that machine a close look for my wife. Compared to the 13" MBPr it is a very tough choice. the Air benchmarks better than the Pro, has much better battery life and is $100 cheaper. Of course the retina display is awfully nice. Too bad the new Air does not include the high res display but of course the battery life your probably suffer. I would like to see the Pros updated to the haswell chips but I do not think that will happen until after September and we need the machine before August.

Let me know how you like your machine.

The pros will get Haswell chips, just have no clue when Apple will update them. For me the choice was the battery life. This is one of the first laptops you can really be free from a cable. The retina is nice and doesn't weight much more and is only a bit thicker, but the battery life isn't close to the new air. I'm giving up a little on the display for sure, but I think all in all it's a fair trade. I was going to update last year with Ivy Bridge, but I waited it out another year. Was worth it for this kind of battery life.

I've concluded from this thread that I know absolutely nothing. Middle of last year I got a MPB with retina which was listed as the top of the line. I always figured I have no clue how to max out this system. You guys just confirmed that. (I'm laughing at myself right now.)

I've concluded from this thread that I know absolutely nothing. Middle of last year I got a MPB with retina which was listed as the top of the line. I always figured I have no clue how to max out this system. You guys just confirmed that. (I'm laughing at myself right now.)
It's technology. What you got was top of the line when you bought it, and the second you take it out of the store it's outdated and lost some value. At least apple laptops lose less value than windows laptops. I've never maxed out any system I've had. This one is the closest. I got the 256gb ssd, not the 512.

Got my new air and have been using it for the last 2.5 hours. I have installed so much software and I ran the benchmark listed above.

Time? 19.7 seconds.

This thing is stellar. In the last 2.5 hours I have installed MS Office, LR5, CS6, Nik full suite, On One Photosuite 7.5, plus ALL updates including OSX updates. From a full charge, my battery is at 82%. I don't have retina, but so far I'm quite pleased. My monster desktop did the benchmark in 12 seconds, this thing in 19.7. It's a nasty filter that I don't even use. All other filters seemed to run very fast, really not noticeable from my desktop. 1.7GHz Haswell, 8GB of RAM. 15W of power. Amazing, so glad I waited for this instead of the Ivy Bridge. Next year's processor may not give the battery improvement, but it will probably give a decent performance boost :wink:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom