Hat Trick

Discussion in 'People' started by tomj, Jun 16, 2007.

1. tomj

tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Oklahoma
    No, I'm not talking hockey but rather how difficult it was to get my daughter to wear her hat for just 5 minutes. Normally her hair is in her eyes unless she wears a head band or a barrette which she just absolutely refused to wear for this shoot. Anyway, I was able to bribe her to wear the hat for a few minutes and still her one eye remained in the shadows.

I was testing a two light setup using fluorescent tubes on one side (models right) and a gelled strobe reflected of a homemade reflector on the other (models left).

It was not my intention, but this setup really makes her look much older than she really is. Maybe its the lighting, the processing, or both. I have been searching for some mature models to shoot but to date I have not had much luck but I haven't given up yet.

Comments and critique always welcomed.

original.

2. Tom, she looks simply adorable! The hat and her look are just too cute :smile:
    Technically, the picture looks perfect in my eyes with one exception: The gel on the strobe doesn't match the fluorescent light. The flash side looks a bit too green for my taste if you intended matching both lights.
    Apart from that it looks great.

3. cuss2much

cuss2much Guest

excellent image...

great processing...

4. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

awesome, Tom. i like it...;-)

5. Hey Tom,

Great work as usual. Your little model that you do have is so photogentic.
    I'm not on my computer, so correct me if I'm wrong, but does the white balance look cold to you?
    Might just be the combination of 2 different light sources.
    Tim

6. tomj

tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Thanks Daniel. The one side is definitely cooler than the other. She was actually positioned about a foot too far towards the strobe side. I really didn't think I would get a near match with the color temps, but I had fun messing around anyway. Thanks.

Thank you Maurice.

Thanks so much Nute.

Hi Tim. Thanks for the kind words. Yes, it is cool for certain. This whole experiment began a few weeks ago when I saw some adds in one of my wifes magazines. The adds were of a woman modeling jewelery and I found the coldish tones of the model interesting. I tried to emulate this just by shooting with strobes and adjusting the white balance in Capture but this didn't work. I then shot with strobes (non gelled) and set the white balance to Fluorescent and I was able to more closely achieve the look I was going for. These shots were posted in my "cool blue" post a week or two ago.

That leaves my with the image in this post which was the result of shooting with regular fluorescent tube mixed with a fluor. balanced strobe. I will probably not be repeating this setup.

7. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Tom this image is fantastic, and I know how hard it is to shoot the little ones - my daughter will give me 2 clicks of the shutter and shes gone. Can't wait to see what you come up with when you shoot a model. Have you tried ModelMayhem?

8. Simply incredible! You have posted many excellent shots of your daughter, but this one is perfect.

9. You suck :wink:

GREAT shot... perfect processing.

I take back my original comment :biggrin:

10. tomj

tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Thanks Fred. She is giving me more time in front of the camera than she did a few months ago. There were a few months where it was next to impossible to get her to even look at the camera, let alone stand still for a minute. Woody recommended MM to me some time back and I have yet to sign up. I'm about to give up on OMP.

Thanks Anthony. That is very kind of you.

Uh, thanks Woody. I really appreciate the kind words.

11. Tom, fantastic work...I can't imagine anyone would stand you up...

She does look older...nice lighting...really like it.