Haunting Photo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gramps, Aug 27, 2008.

1. I came across this photo while scanning my slide collection. It was taken from the ferry to Eilis Island with a Nikon FE. The town I live in in New Jersey and I were hit very had on 9/11. I am posting this as a memorial to so many good people.

2764417165_8cf7bba79a_b.png

Les

2. Can not see the photo

3. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Les, beautiful scan and very touching photo.

We do need to all remember, and we need to remember daily.

I have spent only a couple of long weekends in NYC, but I really love the place. On Sept 11, I tried to imagine that the city involved was 'my' city, Atlanta, and the feelings invoked were no different.

4. This is a really bad scan of 2 photos I took on 9/3/01. We had dinner at Windows to the World Restaurant..... I was home on 9/11 and felt broken when I watched the towers fall. (forgive the red eyes)

2253275592_e36a9bf00e_o.png

2250169461_88a06b55a0.png

5. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Wow Sonya...just image, a week later...
    I lived in Monterey at the time. The town was as dead and quiet any town could be that day. Except the news. We watched it Live. I will never forget that day.

6. May we never forget all the people who lost their lives. My wife called me out of the front pasture and told me a plane had hit the World Trade Center. I was thinking, while walking to the house it was a Cessna, or some other small craft. Walked inside just in time to see the second impact. I walked outside and screamed. I have never been filled with rage and hate in my life as in that moment.
    Tim

7. Sonya, I was giving a talk that day at the University of Medicine & Dentistry of NJ in Newark. When I got back to my car on the top level there was a crowd looking east to NYC. I watched first tower go down realizing that I had two relatives who worked there. I went back to the hospital to see if I could help the pharmacists. (I am an oncology pharmacist.) The disaster plan was activated but as you know there was no one to treat.

Les

8. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    Well said. They are still out there, waiting for the right moment.

9. I still choke up over that day - I thought I had lost 2 very dear friends for they worked in the first tower - found out days later, they had moved. I still hurt for so many that were lost.....

10. I realy never forget that day.
    I was admidded in hospital,an had minor surgery on one of my kidneys that day. i had a short talk with my anthesiest before i went to the operation ward.She happens to come from New York.When i start waking up on my room,i heard lots of noise,Sirens,screaming etc.My first idea was"why do they have that TV so %^&* loud on?.I asked a nurse what was going on.She told me that a plain flew in the WTC.I told here she must be crazy because i could see the (Rotterdam) WTC from my bed,and it was still there.
    Than she told me it was the NY WTC.believe me.That is a reason to fight to stay awake and fight the pain and all other things that come by kidney surgery.For asfar as posible i watched the disaster happen on TV.Being on drugs it is a more then weird experience

11. Stephan54

Stephan54

May 13, 2006
    Netherlands
    Not hard to remember that day, it really changed the world (travel, security in buildings, general suspicion)
    I was at work and heard something about a small plane having hit the towers, wanting to work in quiet I went home and saw the horror unfold on the television screen. The impact of the second plane was shocking, but most shocking was the sight of the tower crumbling (antennas moving down in a vertical line in a cloud of dust). Fortunately we were spared the shots of people jumping.
    Stayed three years ago near ground zero: there was still the smell of smoke in the air due to the cleaning of structures. The souvenir sellers made my stomach turn (twin towers in a bubble with artificial snow).
    Thanks for sharing the photo.

12. I still have one of my nighttime images of the Brooklyn Bridge with the twin towers in the background hanging in my house. It serves as a reminder to me.

13. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

I was in college that day and watched the 2nd plane hit live. Its an image that breaks my heart and lives in my mind forever. It still shocks me to this day. Thanks for the photos!

14. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    We all have our stories on where we were that horrific day....I have mine. Thanks for posting that image...it brought tears to my eyes... :325:

15. i have tears, too
    we were in NYC un july of that year
    celebrating my father-in-law's 70th birthday

i get so sad seeing the towers...
    but, the sadness soon gives way to extreme anger
    that probably won't ever change

thanks for the thread

16. motomodo

motomodo

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Jersey
    I work in a high school. When we learned of this I had to find students that had parents that worked at the WTC. I was amazed by the complete silence, other than the occaisonal sound of muted crying, as I walked through the halls of a high school of 1200+ students. Like the Kennedy assasination, I'll never forget it.

17. A day of horror....

Oddly enough, I first learned about it on the internet. I was checking my email before going to work and was just about to shut down the computer when one more email came rolling in on a listserv I participated in. I thought, "oh, I'll just read this and then turn off the computer." In it, the writer, a girl from London, made reference to the "terrible tragedy happening in the United States right now." I looked at the sentence, thought, "huh? What's she talking about?" and clicked on a bookmark to go check out the Washington Post website. This....incredible image came up on the screen. I stared for a moment and thought, "uh-oh, someone's doing weird stuff with the Post's website; this looks like something out of science fiction!" It was unbelievable, couldn't be real, so I carefully typed in the Post's URL and the same image came up, the same incredible, unbelievable words..... I turned around and flicked on the TV.....

I did make it in to work that day but quite late and stayed only long enough to do some essentials, then quickly returned home to once more glue myself in front of the TV.

Of course here in the DC area things hit pretty close to home at the Pentagon and that only added to the horror.....

18. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
  19. I too live in central NJ. So many commuter towns such as ours that ring NYC were hit hard by this tragedy.

Les

20. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I live under 40 minutes from NYC.

I was conducting a seminar for a group of CPA's when we all received the news of the first plane.

I am reminded daily of the horror, by many many factors. Though I am not close enough to have had a view, the wind carried the odor and much debris..that was stomach wrenching.

I've been to Ground Zero many many times...it never gets better emotionally. And to see the size of the debris field, the narrow streets and the proximity of the neighboring building it is amazing that many more people in the vicinity and near by offices were spared peril.