Have I gone too far?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Daves602, May 4, 2007.

1. Hi there everyone. For those who don't know me, I am a sharp glass tragic. I spent years trying to find the perfect lens for my application, Cricket photography, and the wash up is after 50-500, 120-300 with TC's etc. I bought the lens I should have in the first place, the 400 f/2.8 AF-S 11 Nikon.
    It is a dream lens, and of course cost me a few dollars on top to buy the full Wimberly head to support the mother!
    I get obsesive about things and this is the result, have I gone too far?:smile:

[​IMG]

2. Dave_Canada

Dave_Canada Guest

gone too far that depends did you have to sell a car to buy it :eek:
    I can only dream I would buy one in an instant if I could afford it but sadly i'll have to drool on my keyboard for now :Smoking:

3. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    That piece of glass should spot those darned insects at 100 yards! :505: :505: :505: :505: :505: :505: :505: :505: :505: :505: :505: :505:

4. Wow!!!!!

5. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    The only difference between a passtime, a hobby and a passion is $$$$$$$$

6. Hey Dave -

Congrats!

Since I've never seen one in the field, please tell me:

is this lens supplied with the Nikon logo and the "400 mm" banners on the outer rings?

Thanks, and enjoy . . .

Eric

7. Jumpin...holy...

8. How much did Nikon pay you for that? :biggrin:

9. I think Dave added the banners. Gotta be proud of that glass!! I have version 1 and love it!

10. As long as you love it and enjoy it then you haven't gone too far.

11. Snipps

Snipps

Oct 7, 2006
    WOW! The Light grey color actually looks nice on the long glass.

12. fjgindy

fjgindy

Jan 21, 2007
    Indianapolis
    For some reason "it goes to eleven" flashes to mind... :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2007
  13. revdhd

revdhd

May 2, 2007
    Cincinnati
    What's that funny little squarish thingy hanging off the back of the lens?

God bless.
    Doug

14. Well....if it were me and I were shooting out in public, I wouldn't really want to advertise to the world and especially my fellow photographers that I had this really wonderful, expensive lens hanging on my Wimberley and Nikon camera body!

Why? Well, I'd hate to get mugged as I was putting things away in my car....

15. Answers to all so far

Ok, I will respond to every one that begs one.
    1.Didn't sell a car, but I don't own or buy new cars, just old bomb ones that get me from A to B, but that is just me.
    2. Not insects, but it does a pretty good job on little birds.:wink:
    [​IMG]
    3. Yes, money is essential to buy glass, food, shelter, transport etc., but how you prioritize it is the individual's choice.:cool:
    4. No the stickers on the lens hoods were designed, composed in photoshop and printed by me. All the Canon shooters I know have big red lettering "Canon" on their hoods, so a bit of friendly fire back at them. :smile:
    5. Nikon doesn't pay me a cent, maybe I should ask them?
    6.Version 1 of this lens is said to be sharper by some. Yes, very proud of my glass. :biggrin:
    7. I do love it but I am always asked if I am compensating for part of my anatomy. Asked my wife and she didn't think so. :377:
    8. The light grey colour keeps it cooler in the Australian summer as I am often out in the heat shooting cricket.:370:
    9. The square thing would be another Nikon masterpiece, my D2X.:smile:

16. Hmmm. I am so glad that I live in Australia if that is the cloud you guys have to live under over there.

17. Have a look at Mitch's recent thread about having had a lot of his gear stolen out of his car....

18. Connie, please remember that I am new here and have no idea of who Mitch is, could you supply me with a link?

19. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  20. Thanks Zach.

For the link.
    Connie, whilst I feel for Mitch, I never leave my gear unattended, even if I stop at one of my childrens homes, I always carry the gear in with me, even if I am there for 20 minutes for a cuppa. At games, there is a delegated person to look after the teams "valuables"......all of this we do to be on the safe side to stop any one from temptation. I still maintain that Australia is a very safe place to live in.
    I have to ask you though, Your avatar shows a very expensive lens, 200 f/2? Isn't that a temptation for other photographers who know where you frequent? I can't quite follow your logic of "here I am with an expensive lens, but don't anyone else post an image of one" :confused: