Have I Put a Curse on the Mets?

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by The Clam, Jul 14, 2007.

1. I went to the Mets vs Red game tonight at Shea to practice what I'm learning here but I'm beginning to wonder if I can/should keep this up. It's alot of fun but every time I shoot at a game, the Mets get KILLED. They lost 8-4 tonight but were behind the entire game. The one recent game I went to and did not shoot, they won! Coincidence? I'm not so sure. Anyway, here's what I got using the tips from Frank (Eng45ine) and Gogo, and a Capture NX lesson from Tosh:

Close play at 2B:
    [​IMG]

That's gotta hurt:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Milledge back from the minors in LF:
    [​IMG]

Ken Griffey Jr. on deck:
    [​IMG]

. . . and at bat:
    [​IMG]

Adam Dunn:
    [​IMG]

And Mr. Met:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2007
  2. Those shots are really great, Larry, and yes you did curse the Mets - the Braves will win the NL East by 3 games. :smile:

Sean

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Darn good shots

4. Really welll done! BTW if you could keep it up for just a few more weeks.....

5. Great shots Larry - you must be a quick study. In those first three the Reds player is Ryan Freel and those shots capture him in his natural element - they had a "Ryan Freel Dirty Shirt Night" in Cinci a few weeks back where the giveaway was a t-shirt with the dirt pre-printed on.

Re: "every time I shoot a game the Mets get Killed" - I strongly encourage you to go back tonight and tomorrow afternoon. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2007
  6. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Great shots...love the first one.

As for the "curse" I can only say "hope so" :)

7. Really great shots, Larry-good job on these.

The Mets should be fine, since Ricky Henderson is the new first base coach; you should keep on shooting with no worries whatsoever:wink:.

8. Great shots! What lens did you use? You removed all EXIF data from your shots.

Thanks, Anthony

9. Thanks everyone for the kind words. I still have ALOT to learn but thanks to what I 've picked up here, I see a little improvement each time.

Sorry about the EXIF data Anthony. I don't know how that happened. I was probably the least unhappy Mets fan there since I had something to keep my mind off the game. Using the 300/2.8 I picked up from Giorgio puts a smile on my face no matter what.:biggrin: I used it with a TC1.4e for the first 4 pics. These were taken from way down the left field line. Giorgio told me to keep my focus point as low as possible and that seemed to work well. The last 4 were with the 180/2.8 after I moved closer to home plate.

And OMG:eek: I had no idea there was so much anti-Mets sentiment out there! Where are the NY'ers?

10. Awesome series here Larry! Number 1 is as good as it gets. Where were you seated?

11. Well.... Don't put a curse on the Blue Jay's and all will be fine (Not that I follow any pro-sports...)

I really like the 3rd picture, excellent capture :smile:

12. Thanks Dude, Peter. My seats were down the left field line, toward the corner. I moved to a vacant box in the front row for the first 4. Sometimes you just get lucky.

And I always root for the Jays, and the Red Sox and anyone else against the Yankees.

13. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    crying

Tears and sobs of deep sorrow.
    What have you done with my lens?
    Where are the girls wearing couture dresses...

Oh well, great photos Larry. I love the action and the drama, baseball players flying through the air and all that. COOL!

Sweet glass helps, but you have to think for the camera too!

GOOOOO METTTTTTSSSSS

14. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Excellent shots! I was at that game as well....I guess we can chaulk it up to that it was Friday the 13th (that's if you're superstitious). Did you have a press pass or did you just end up having great seats to get those shots?

Just curious..........what where your camera settings as far as focus (single, dynamic, group or closest subject) and metering (3D Matrix, Center weighted, or Spot)?

Lets Go Mets!!!

15. Thanks Giorgio. And if it makes you feel better, the lens didn't seem to mind the new surroundings at all. :smile:

Thanks Mark. No press pass, just field level seats and a little scouting to see who was leaving closer seats as the game went on. It reminds me of the old days when I would get general admission seats and pay someone a few bucks to let me sit lower down. I used matrix metering mostly, AF-C with dynamic area focusing, and tried to use either the lowest or middle sensor depending on where I thought the subject would be.

I also tried to catch some runners as they rounded second. A bit tougher but here's a sample of what I got:

[​IMG]

16. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Larry, your first three images are as good as any action shots submitted to SI by any pro shooter. Not sure how much you cropped, but these are cropped very well and the composition is really nice. Exposures settings sure look good to me and whatever post work you did enhanced whatever you started with. Excellant work, I'd be proud to say that these images were mine.

17. Thank you so much Frank. That means alot to me. I really just tried to follow your advice on exposure, focus and cropping. You're a great teacher.

18. Larry,

Great job! I love the Reyes open hand shot. You've gotta be ecstatic after these shots from your new high end glass.
    Any with a TC attached?

19. Thanks Glenn. The big glass sure makes it easier and lots of fun. I used the TC at first but by around the 2nd or 3rd inning I opted for the extra speed and took it off. Here's one with it:

Carlos Delgado running at top speed:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

20. Delgado's job is to hit 'em out, then trot around the bases, man! About 5 years ago I saw him hit a homer at the Skydome off of Roger Clemens that was still rising when it went over the cf wall and hit below the restaurant windows.