Have you already seen this?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by j.ankanpaa, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Hmmmm

Looks interesting.

Also mentioned 18-200mm VR lense.

:biggrin:

2. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    I love watching these rumours. They make preparing for Christmas so much fun. :smile:

3. I'll never forget the feeding frenzy that took place for a year before the release of the D2X. It was laughable but sad at the same time. I'm with you Neil, I'm still trying to get the most out of my D2H and have never felt that a camera body necessarily made me a better photographer. Let's hope the D200 gets released soon.

4. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    OOPS! Deleted my post not having seen that Gordon had already quoted it. :biggrin:

I must admit Scott, I think slightly differently - the rumours just plain annoy me. Guess I shouldn't get upset that so many people are so keen to believe whatever they're told by absolutely anybody on the net, but I do wish they'd confine their activities to dpreview rather than here as well. :wink:

One of these days I'll post a ps'd pic of a Canon 1Ds (with slightly upgraded specs over the Canon) and claim it's the new D40 that'll be selling for $200. I can guarantee any number of people will believe it.

Why? Because they desperately want the INSTANT solution that will lead to them being offered a multi-million dollar contract with National Geographic.

Kinda amusing, mostly sad.

Neil

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Neil :

Well, that clears up why your post couldn't be quoted earlier. It wouldn't list anything from you, but other people's posts could be replied to with the "quote" button. I must have been trying to compose a reply right when you deleted your post. A real "ah-ha!" moment occurred for me when I just saw this second note.

I don't necessarily want a multi-million dollar contract (although I won't turn it down - I didn't fall off of a horse-drawn turnip wagon this morning with hay stuck in my hair) but I wouldn't mind a few enhancements to the camera I work with. :cool:

I've said on a number of occasions before that I don't believe that I use my camera (and lenses) to their full capacity, perhaps not even a large fraction of that capability. OTOH, a better buffer, a little faster AF would be handy to have, and I could work up to the new capacity of the new body. That said, I purely love shooting with the D100 and hope to keep improving with every day, every hour, every shot I have with the camera.

Where I'm probably of the same mind as you is related to the almost incessant sniping about how Nikon/Canon/Olympus/Sony et al can't produce exactly the feature set that a poster wants, but that their preferred camera company always gets that right. Sigh.

And Gordon's comment is on the mark about the D2X, and not just when it was anticipated. I clearly recall the incredible animosity spewed and thrown towards Bjørn when he had the "temerity" to remark that he liked the D2X in an initial review. Given that Bjørn's never impressed me as any kind of an apologist for Nikon and sometimes takes them to task for their designs (which is why, incidentally, I respect his reviews and comments so much), this was a clear proof that the "discussions" on new models have become almost a religious debate with so many unfortunates in other fora.

If most of us spent a fraction of the time and effort that those folks devote to bashing equipment in various fora instead on just thoughtfully shooting with the cameras that we have, we'd likely be getting those multi-million dollar contract offers, so much would our photography improve ! :Whistle: :Smart: :Whistle:

Still, I'm enjoying a little anticipation for the next iteration of the Nikon series. I've had my D100 almost three years now, and I've successfully resisted all of the hype surrounding new releases while still enjoying trying them and testing them. Will I buy the putative D200 ? I can't say right now, but I will have fun looking at it and hanging a lens or three off of the body for a moment's intellectual and emotional gratification.

It's something to look forward to in a small way.

And now I need to go out and do some shooting... :wink:

John P.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2005
  6. We all want more from our cameras. Otherwise we would all be using 2 megapixel cameras from years ago, having been satisfied with that.

Seems to me that one cannot enjoy any camera, however, if the time isn't taken to understand the nature of what you have, and to make the best of it.

I for one don't seek perfection. My eyes provide that already. But I do want change. The more different cameras I can use, the more fun I have. For that reason I don't shy away from using and owning other brands. Granted the vast majority of my stuff is Nikon. And for subjective reasons.

7. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Hi John, sorry about the deletion mix up.

My argument isn't with the need or desire for improvements with camera models. I myself would LOVE better white balance handling on the D100, although other than that, really, I'm pretty happy. I realise that people have various reasons for wanting or needing better cams, although in some cases those instruments are already out there, but people aren't willing to part with the cash required (D2X strikes me as a fine example).

However, what I find both sad and amusing is the point I was trying to make in the first part of my post about the willingness for people to believe anything and everything that is posted about a potential new cam. It's the obvious ease with which people seem to suspend any sense of critical examination, any sense of reasoning, any sense of disbelief.

Another way of looking at it is if somebody walked up to you on the street and told you that Macdonalds was going to give you a million dollars, nothing more, just that, would you believe them? Yet that's not at all far short of some idiot posting about a cam that has NEVER EVEN BEEN HINTED AT by Nikon.

I think it was best summed up by my "joke" about posting a ps'd 1Ds. I think the number of people who would fervently believe such a posting is depressing. It's almost as if the joke adage of "It must be true, it was on the net" is actually gospel to some.

Why I originally deleted my post was because I realise nothing I say is going to change that situation. I should just accept that people will believe whatever they want to believe (regardless of the facts). [Insert political joke here].

Nonetheless, it is depressing this willingness to "believe".

Neil

8. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Neil :

I think there's a little more to the rumour-mill than that with respect to the D100 "replacement", but I can also agree that speculation can become excessive and unpleasant.

It's about the right point in the cycle for Nikon to have a circa $2K body available with various improvements. Right now, they're not capturing that part of the market, and they're canny enough to want a spectrum of products for their users.

I'll wait and see, watch a few threads here and there, and when something arrives in the stores, play with it. Beyond that, my life is complicated and expansive enough to have many many other things to keep me more than slightly busy ! :Tongue:

John P.