Have you ever tried a KEH UG grade lens?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by smodak, Aug 14, 2008.

1. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    How was it?

2. Personally, I have not but I've seen many reports from those that did and all were very positive. KEH seems to be somewhat conservative in their ratings and I've heard some say that an UG lens from KEH could pass for a VG or VG+ by most people's standards.

3. pluka

pluka

Dec 30, 2005
    Several years back I purchased 17-35 from them that was rated UG. In was in good working order, but the barrel was pretty scuffed and there were a few small chips on the filter threads. Nothing that impacted the performance or use. I'd buy one again - that one was stolen :( but I'm waiting for an UG 14-24!

4. I think you're referring to the BGN grade, which is almost always a safe bet in terms of functionality and usually even cosmetics. I would be leery of UG grade but might give it a try for the right deal. Their return policy is fairly liberal as well, so there's always that to fall back on too.

5. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    ugly can mean there are scratches on the glass and stuff.

I wouldn't go any lower than BGN, and i've had very good luck with their BGN lenses.

6. You're right Stephen. My mistake. I wasn't thinking when I replied. It was BGN and not UG.

"Strike that. Reverse it." - Willy Wonka

7. bett

bett

Mar 31, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Yeah,
    I bought a Kalimar 2x TC to make an extension tube.
    I knew I was going to take the glass out anyway, so I got
    an "UG" from KEH for about $18.- plus like $8.- to ship it.

I was very surprised when it turned up without a scratch on it.
    Really, it was in great shape! I don't know why it was graded
    like that, and I certainly wouldn't expect it to happen again,
    but it's my only experience with UG from KEH.

222663356_a5i39-O.jpg

8. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    BGN from Keh is excellent Ugly is ugly. Iv got a Nikkor 135 F2 Fungus door stop. They tried to warn me, but I just wouldnt listen:tongue:

Gregory