1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Have you ever used...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sypher, Jul 19, 2008.

1. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    bat boxes/houses? No im not talking about some new doohicky for your sb-900....
    I am looking into putting one up in my yard and I would like to hear some experiences from anyone that has used them.
    Was it a success/failure?
    Did you have to battle your spouse to put on up (if so how did you convince them)?
    Do you have pictures?

Jokers need not reply :)  :) 

2. Can't help you with the boxes Brian but since we have some caves nearby we get bats most evenings in the summer months. Actually more so in the spring and fall. I love these little guys as they eat tons of insects and it is fun to watch them flitting around catching the flying bugs.

3. Yes, and provided the area will support bats, they work.

the trick is, believe it or not, to buy pre-guanoed kits, and not to make your own. Bats don't like to sleep where it doesn't smell like other bats live.

Lawrence

4. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Gordon,
    I also enjoy bats, but the problem that i am having is convincing the wife. The fears that she has are based on pre-concieved misconceptions like: bats have rabbies...you are more likely to get rabbies from a dog than a bat; bats attack people...bats generally avoid people; the list goes on. The eating of the bugs is a big reason I would like to get a bat box, that and like you I enjoy observing them. Does your wife enjoy watching them too?

Lawrence,
    I had been debating on whether to build or buy, but after your response I think I will probably buy (i was already leaning that way just because my woodcraft skills aren't that great).
    Do you have any other suggestions? Did you have to battle a significant other?

5. Brian-

actually, one of my neighbors on Browns River came up with the idea, and we made sort of a community project out of it. I don't recall anyone actually objecting- it's a bad neighborhood for bugs, and we put them at the end of the blocks along the river, up on utility poles.

[edited to add]

we contacted a local bat trapping and relocation service, and got a few starter bats when we first put the houses up, as we were halfway through the year with no tenants. Within a year we had fat healthy happy bats, and a notable reduction in bugs.

Lawrence

6. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Lawrence,
    dont know if our area is bad for bugs, we'll be moving in a couple of weeks, but that is a good idea about contacting a local bat relocation service. You also have a good location where you are close to a river. I have a lake a couple miles away, so i guess we'll see.

7. Our neighbors had bats in his attic several years ago and every day at dusk folks on the block would gather near his house to watch them emerge and fly around. Cool, very cool. When the house sold many folks put up bat boxes to make up for the "loss" of habitat!

8. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    We have tons of 'em. If they eat mosquitos, I'll buy 'em an apartment complex. :biggrin:

9. BrendaC

BrendaC

Sep 24, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    We have bats fly around all the time too. The other night we were in our pool and they were swooping down in the pool for a drink! I don't mind bats but that bothered me a little:smile:.

10. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Nick,
    that is one of the things that she is afraid of...the bats coming into the house. I told her that if we give them their own house they won't bother us in ours.

Lisa,
    :biggrin: I'm just looking at putting up a bachelor pad :biggrin:

Brenda,
    I could understand that being a little to close for comfort.

11. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    Until they decide to move into your attic :eek: 

12. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    That is why you do a thorough inspection of the house, and seal any place up that they may enter, before putting the bat box up. Then hope that you found them all :505:.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.