Have you seen the Windows commercial with Seinfeld?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wgilles, Sep 5, 2008.

1. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    First, here is the ad if you haven't seen it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM_72QXCtN4

Second, I don't get it. Can anyone please explain this to me? It doesn't make any sense, I thought it was a new episode of Seinfeld when I first saw it (which is maybe what they were going for). It's just dumb to me...I really don't want a PC now.

2. That was lame. Who are they targeting? Stuffy corporate types who think Seinfeld is still the cream of comedy? Man, I could barely finish watching that. Bill Gates and Steve Jobs should just do an Apple commercial together as the original PC vs. Mac guys!

3. I don't buy it. The commercial just wasn't witty or engaging. I found it kind of dry and painful watching Bill Gates. And Microsoft really does bully smaller companies and use it's monopoly to leverage itself into other markets. They're the Walmart of the tech industry!

4. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    It DOES show Gates as a relatively normal person - a consumer who likes a good product for a good price? The Seinfeld connection is a bit esoteric, but if taken in the context of his character in his sitcom, he was sort of the "everyman" living in Manhattan - albeit one who was criminally apathetic.

It's mildly entertaining. It doesn't make me want a pc or not. It does paint a more "cute and fuzzy" picture of Bill Gates than we've ever seen of Steve Jobs. Maybe THAT was the point?

I also don't buy singly demonizing Microsoft. They aren't doing anything that Apple doesn't do. In fact, from everything I've read about Jobs strong-arming different tech segments, I'd say they are two sides of the same coin. Apple is just smaller in scale.

Microsoft has to do something to counter the Apple marketing onslaught. This was a decent first attempt. It could easily evolve into something better...

5. As I understand it, this is just one step down a longer road ... so stand by.

MS has to do something to overcome the outright lies in the Mac vs PC ads (although they are mighty well done!!)

Jobs & Gates ... that would be interesting ....

Cheers!

Ken

6. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    The thing is, I could care less about Bill Gates as a normal person, he is a friggen billionaire, I don't expect him to be a normal person. I know I wouldn't be. It's like comparing Bill Gates to a trailer park guy, they just don't relate.

7. Who wears leather shoes in the shower? :eek: Too corny for me, but I'll still watch old Seinfeld episodes right after the 10 o'clock news.

8. I'm not kidding when I say that's how I break in combat boots. They're hard and painful until you *wear them wet* for a few days. I soak them on my feet, in the shower, wear them for 30 minutes then put them out to dry. After a few days I repeat that process, and again every few days until they're nice, soft and comfy.

The commercial was weird though....

9. ah....
    that was the weirdest commercial i've seen in some time
    thanks for the thread and link

10. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    My two cents

Ummmm....

The commercial was boring (just like Microsoft's operating system).

It didn't make any sense (just like Microsoft's operating system).

And it failed to make the point (just like, well... ).

When it runs on the boob tube, I fully expect my TV screen will ask me for a password and then freeze up.

11. morcguy

morcguy

Dec 29, 2006
    Minnesota
    It is good to see Microsoft attempting to retake a little bit of ground in the advertising wars. I personally despise the Apple commercials, which in my opinion turn a computer from a tool into a fashion accessory. Whatever functions advantages they are promoting, the two actors send another message: To be truly hip and cool, you must use their machine, and anyone who uses Windows is a 'square' or(insert your favorite term here).

12. I am so gullible. I thought it was an ad for Conquistador shoes and wondered why B & J were doing this ad. Then I heard something about an edible Windows Computer?

If this is an ad for Vista? someone dropped the ball. At least the first ad for a Mac computer was funny and you knew what is being sold.

I like Jerry Seinfeld's humor, but this ad was just too subtle.

13. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    I asked my parents about it just to see what they would say. My Dad liked it and said he didn't know it was for Windows, but said it was a dumb Windows commercial once I told him.

My Mom also didn't know it was for Windows, thought it was for shoes...

One thing about that Cnet article, it says "Do me a favor: sit down, put your MacBook Pro away, and be quiet."
    If I put my MBP away, I won't be able to read your article... :)

14. LOL

15. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Thought you guys would enjoy that.

I also disagree with an earlier post about the Get a Mac ads are "outright lies"
    I don't see anything they lie about. If you want to talk about lying, let's talk about MS said Vista would change the world or some crap like that. It changed the world alright, made half of it want to buy Macs...

16. This Ad shows Jerry in a Mac commercial years ago.

17. I stand corrected.:smile:

18. I just don't see this as being an effective commercial. It makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Glenn:confused:

19. It's the first of a series, so it's not really pushing anything. It's establishing goodwill towards Bill Gates, as a regular guy, someone that Jerry can talk to... Stay tuned, I am sure there will be a lot more!