Have you tried Induro?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by JimCo, Apr 4, 2007.

1. JimCo

JimCo

Feb 16, 2006
    Sublimity, Oregon
    I took a short trip (50 miles) the other day to visit my favorite camera shop, Pro Photo Supply in Portland, OR. They had a line of support equipment in the store that I hadn't seen before. This was the Induro brand of tripods, monopods, and ballheads. I only played with their carbon fiber monopod but I was impressed by their build quality.

Researching this brand, I find they are marketed by MAC Group (Mamiya, Sekonic, PocketWizard) and imported from Korea. So they are backed by a very reputable company. I also see that B&H and Adorama sell this them.

Has anyone had any experience with the Induro brand, and what do you think of their products?

2. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    I could be wrong but I think I read somewhere that the Induro is the same as Benro products marketed in the US under the Induro brand. I have their KS-2 ballhead and it is a beautifully machined product. I use it with my D2H/80-200 combo with the sb-800 mounted on camera and it is rock solid.

3. yatesd

yatesd

Nov 5, 2006
    York,PA
    So far, so good...

I went to visit my closest Gitzo dealer ( www.servicephoto.com ) with the intent to confirm my need for a 1530. I was also trying to figure out how I was going to justify the purchase to my wife (after the camera, flash, lens, bag, etc.).

Anyway, in person the Induro seemed pretty close in build and features. I was convinced that CF was the only way to go. However, when I saw the A114 I was quite impressed. It was more compact than the CF version and the build quality and feature set was identical (anti-rotation legs, dust seals, included bag, etc.). The tripod is 18.99" long, 3.2lbs, and full size. It cost me $119. It is also available from www.adorama.com

The Induro brand is the officially authorized product for the US. It includes a 5 year warranty and support is provided out of NY. www.indurogear.com The setup is definitely a lightweight setup and probably not appropriate for much more than a D80 and a 70-300VR.

Below are some pictures of the tripod paired with the Markins Q3:

http://theyatesfamily.smugmug.com/gallery/2645632/1/139795440#139795440

4. HSNewman

HSNewman

Aug 17, 2006
    Maryland
    I have a Benro C227n6 tripod which I think is equivalent to the Induro C213 (based on supported weight, 17lbs). I am very happy with the unit as better is the enemy of good enough and it costs much less than the famous brand. In use, I've noted two small problems: The legs can splay out at three different angles making for high, medium, and low heights. In the usual high position, all is well. In the medium and low positions, the legs flex making the setup less stable. Also, the center column tends to twist when tightening it, thereby moving the ballhead.

5. The Benro and Induro are the same. I also got the Benro C227n6 , and it is a very good quality tripod. You can get the Benro on ebay for about 1/2 the price of the Induro , but the tradeoff , no warranty .
    http://www.benro.cn

6. JimCo

JimCo

Feb 16, 2006
    Sublimity, Oregon
    Thanks all for your input. The Induro is just something I hadn't run across before and thought I should ask about them.

Hmmm, that is something to think about. If the build quality is decent, one shouldn't need the warranty and at 1/2 the cost, sounds like the Benro is a super deal.

7. The c227n6 is $241+$55 shipping from link-delight on e-bay. The Induro C213 at adorama is $370+shipping. So I was wrong about 1/2 off , but it's a couple $$ anyway :)

8. JimCo

JimCo

Feb 16, 2006
    Sublimity, Oregon
    Well $$'s are $$'s, especially when constantly lusting after bigger, better, smaller, taller, stronger, lighter, longer, wider, faster, etc. We always want more, but life is so full of compromises...

9. That Benro c228 is a good deal . The same Induro c214 tripod at Adorama is $384.
    I don't think you will find a better price on the c228 than what B &H has. Ordering from China on e-bay is even more .
    The reason I got the c227 is because I wanted a 3 section , and the c228 is a 4 section tripod. B&H don't have many Benro choices yet , but maybe they will expand the line. The Induro line (Mac Group) will probably get mad at them if they do :)

10. yatesd

yatesd

Nov 5, 2006
    York,PA
    Benro 228 is old model

Just be aware that the Benro 228 is the old model (no anti-rotation legs, dust seals, retractable tripod hook, set screws for the head, etc.). I have never seen this model in person, but there has been enough discussion on other forums for me to believe this is the case.

In addition, I do not believe the warranty will be valid since Induro is the only authorized brand in the US.

B&H had some real problems bringing the Benro's into customer's hands (some waited for months), and they now seem to be switching over to Induro as well.

11. B&H already indicated, a couple of months ago, that they would not be stocking Benro tripods; and, that willl merely be selling off the supply they they presently have on hand. Since that announcement, they have started listing Induro tripods. However, similar to their saga with Benro, they are merely listed as "taking orders."

Though a couple of local camera stores are selling Induro tripods, and now have them in stock, they had problems recieving their initial deliveries. They each told me of unfulfilled promises of eminent delliveries, for weeks before the tripods and heads actually showed up.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2007
  12. HSNewman

HSNewman

Aug 17, 2006
    Maryland
    I got my Benro pod (C227n6) and head (KS-2) last Christmas from Link Delight on Ebay. No strain no pain. YMMV. The newer model had n6 in the model number.

13. yatesd

yatesd

Nov 5, 2006
    York,PA
    Induro stock

www.adorama.com seems to have a large inventory of the product. The dealer where I bought mine in Baltimore,MD had a full display with every model available (right next to the full Gitzo and Bogen display). www.servicephoto.com

Below is a link to confirm authorized dealers. The distribution channel only started in December, so it is still very thin. That being said, I registered my 5 year warranty on Induro's site and received confirmation as promised.

http://indurogear.com/registr/default_dealers.asp

14. I wonder how their monopods are. Anyone ever use one or check one out at the store?

15. JimCo

JimCo

Feb 16, 2006
    Sublimity, Oregon
    The monopod is what originally caught my eye. Both the CF and alloy models feel very good. The "45" model is tall at over 72", yet being a 5 section unit it is quite short when collapsed at about 21". They seem to be pretty strong. I am not thrilled about the twist locks, though. I've been spoiled on that by the Bogen/Manfrotto. Check http://www.indurogear.com/ for their specs.