Hawaii - tips on photo locations

Joined
Mar 5, 2011
Messages
523
Location
Tokyo
I`m off to Hawaii next Saturday, staying in Waikiki. I wonder if any of you have any tips on great photo locations. I`ll be bringing my 35mm 1.4G and maybe my CZ25mm.

Thanks!
 
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
3,751
Location
Durham, NC
A Few suggestions: Foster Botanical Garden in downtown Honolulu, take the climb to the top of Diamond Head, Hanauma Bay, Punchbowl Cemetery, and the USS Arizona Memorial. These are just a few of my favorites:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
 
Joined
Aug 1, 2010
Messages
306
Location
Los Angeles, California
I just got back from an 11 day trip to Oahu. My sister had her wedding at Turtle Bay Resort (North Shore). Will you have a car? To really explore, you will need one to drive to the various locations around the island. You will be limited if you only stay in Waikiki. I'm just starting to go through my photos now, but I can definitely give you a list of places I enjoyed. For landscape shots, there were times I needed to go wider than 24mm on my D3S. You should consider bringing your Tokina 16-28.

Allen
 
Joined
Aug 1, 2010
Messages
306
Location
Los Angeles, California
I used my polarizing filter quite a bit. It made a huge difference with the white clouds popping against the blue sky and seeing the blue/green ocean.

I primarily used the 24-70 with my D3S, but I also brought my D2X, 70-200 and 300 f4. I didn't travel light but I'm glad I brought the extra gear. For surf shots or distant shots, the crop sensor with the telephotos were needed. I was not the wedding photographer, but I'm sure I got some nice candid photos that the wedding photographer did not get.

I bought a book called Driving and Discovering Hawaii O'ahu Honolulu & Waikiki. It's a great book with nice photos. The author is Richard Sullivan, who is also a photographer.

Allen
 
Joined
Jan 18, 2008
Messages
276
Location
Puget Sound - Washington
In addition to the places already listed - I would suggest the Makapuu Lighthouse hike, Byodo-In Temple at the Valley of the Temples, and the Nuuanu Pali Lookout. I also have a D700 and I used the 16-35mm about 90% of the time and the 70-300vr for the other 10%. Have a great time!

Aloha,
Vivian
 
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
380
Location
Maui
Try to make your way up to Kailua area and Lanikai beach (in Kailua). Some of the most beautiful beaches backed by lush green mountain cliffs. If you feel like a little hike, you can hike to the pillbox (also in Kailua area) and get some great bird's eye view shots.
 
Joined
Mar 5, 2011
Messages
523
Location
Tokyo
Many thanks everyone for suggestions, had a great time.

Here is a shot at Kailua bay

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
 
Joined
Mar 5, 2011
Messages
523
Location
Tokyo
Wish I had a polarizing filter, but I don't have on for my 35mm 1.4G

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
 
Joined
Mar 5, 2011
Messages
523
Location
Tokyo
Byodo-in

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
 
Joined
Nov 21, 2009
Messages
98
Location
Copperas Cove, TX
Head on H5 towards Bellows Beach, just past Sea Life Park there is a lookout on top of the hill, breath taking views and if you are there at the right time you can see whales.
 
Joined
Aug 1, 2010
Messages
306
Location
Los Angeles, California
I know exactly the spot you are talking about, Makapuu Beach. I parked my car on the side of the highway for about an hour watching the sunset. Rabbit Island is not too far off shore.
 

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom