1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hawaii vs Mexico

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by latazyo, Jul 21, 2008.

1. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    so we have gathered enough frequent flier miles for a trip to either of these locations

I have never been to either place....the furthest south Ive been is phoenix (also the furthest west)...I haven't even been to Florida (the reason I mention this is because even a generic package trip to mexico will be something new to me)

I am sort of leaning towards Mexico

I realize that hawaii is awesome and everything, but aren't they pretty similar (beaches, palm trees, reef, "paradise")

I realize Hawaii has volcanos and whales at certain times, but is that worth the extra hours on the plane?

isn't hawaii a really long flight?

we are both experienced w/ intl travel (europe) and have passports, so that won't be an issue with mexico

things Im interested in:
    1. reefs/fish (not fishing)
    2. relaxing on the beach
    3. swimming
    4. photography
    5. history/culture/art

we're talking 1.5+ years for the trip, so I am also wondering about what times of year, etc are ideal for these locations

I am pretty sure that our miles won't get us to Belize or anywhere like that in Central America

I am not sure about Jamaica or other caribbean locations...Im pretty sure its just mexico or hawaii, though

I appreciate all suggestions/stories of your vacations to these areas/accommodation recommendations, etc etc!

2. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've spent a lot of time in both places but I prefer Mexico. Look to the Caribbean side for reef fish, snorkeling, and SCUBA. Look to the pacific side for beautiful beaches and a more cosmopolitan atmosphere. But the truth be told, you can't make a bad decision with these two choices. If you choose Hawaii, I would pick Maui over Oahu unless you go in the winter and want to shoot the big surf on the north shore.

haze

3. I have spent a lot of time in both places. In my opinion the two are not fairly comparable. If you want sightseeing and history, you can go either place with Hawaii to include mainly the Big Island(Hawaii) and Oahu. If you want reefs and fish, it is again a toss up, better reefs in Mexico and more fish species and more colorful fish in Hawaii(Kona Coast and Maui). For scenery, you can flip a coin.

I am not a beach denizen, but I am a swimmer and a scuba diver and an underwater photographer as well as a terrestrial photographer. The biggest problem in either location is getting away fromm people. Consider hiring a good guide who understands photorapher's needs. The cost is a bargain compared to missing shots and wasting time, effort and money.

Good luck,
    Tom

4. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    thanks for the input guys

I have never surfed, so big waves are not something I'd need to schedule for

since the airfare is free, hiring a guide may be a possibility

Tom - thanks for correcting my assumption about the similarity of the destinations

5. Latazyo,

I need to clarify your understanding. I do not consider Hawaii and Mexico similar in very many ways. What is similar is the fact that you can accomplish your stated objectives in either place, realizing that Mexico is one large place and there are areas on both Hawaii and in Mexico where you will find things other than what you described.

Tom

6. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    understood, thanks Tom
    I meant that I was wrong in assuming they were "basically the same thing"

we'd be looking at the caribbean side of Mexico

basically Im looking for casual swimming, some snorkeling, beaches, relaxation, good views, and cold beer

this will be my "graduation present" to myself, so its a week to just relax before real life kicks in

we also never took a honeymoon, so it will double as that

if I literally just sat under a palm tree on the beach the entire time I still would not consider it a waste

7. jcovert

jcovert Guest

Hawaii. Paradise...with a Starbuck's.:biggrin:

8. How's about a comprimise and a trip to the Florida Keys?

9. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    Mike that is a good idea, we are thinking about visiting St Petersberg sometime, so that is already in the works!

10. jadlh

jadlh

Mar 6, 2008
    USA, Michigan
    Mex. vs. Hawaii

I have been to both places. I would say they are not comparable. I love the beach and I am a scuba diver as well and I work at underwater photography.
    In Mex. I've had bad water and problems with locals who suddenly can't speak english to communicate with you. It's not been perfect in Hawaii but it's been far better than Mex. The reefs certainly are beautiful underwater in Mex. and the photo ops are probably greater underwater in Mex., but, above water Hawaii ... especially Maui and the Big Island shine. In Hawaii there is the volcano, a fantastic experience to see the steam rising out of the ocean creating new land. We dove with the Mantas on the Big Island and we snorkeled near "Point of refuge" with 21 dolphins for over an hour, we dove Molokini on Maui and heard the whales singing on every dive. On Maui see the sunrise from a mountain top and coast on a bike to the beach for 38 miles. Rainbows happen every day on Maui. There are many waterfalls to see and then you can actually drink the water and eat the food without concern that you are spending you hard earned dollars and not getting sick.
    How long would you sit in a car and drive to Florida? It'll take a about the same time for you to fly to Hawaii.
    Image200copy.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 225223

View attachment 225224

View attachment 225225

Image094-1.jpg

11. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    jadlh,

those pictures are great

I just looked up flight information and it appears that the flight from LA to hawaii is only about 5.5 hours, which is about half of what I thought it was, so that makes it a little more appealing to me

I am not interested in underwater photography, so that will probably help narrow it down a little bit too

I dont know if its a bad time of year, but I just checked ticket prices on northwest airlines website and roundtrip to cancun is only $386....I don't think I'd waste a free trip just to save $386

that gives me hope that maybe both are possible sometime and that it would be "worth more" to use the free trip on hawaii (tix were around $900 each)

12. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    I have never been to either.
    But I am headed to maui in september.:cool: 

13. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    Troy - make sure to tell us all (or at least me, haha) all about it!

so far out of people Ive talked to about 50% have said Mexico, 50% Hawaii

14. TheKO

TheKO

May 3, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Having lived in Hawaii for 5 years and have visited Mexico mega times (East and West coast) my vote would be for Hawaii - but that is my vote

The water is a much deeper blue, the auroma from the flowers is not easily described and is unbelivable, and the Hawaiin islands have everything you could would want.

Be advised, that most Hawaii trips are set up for Oahu, which is mostly the city of Honolulu and its sprawl. Each of the other islands have something speclal to offer with my favorite island Kaui. So, do plan on going to one of the other islands. Airfare is about $90 / person to get there.

Mexico also has much to offer - just depends where you go - mountains, beach, or Inca history is all available.

Bottom line - what do you want to do on your vacation? You will have a good time in either place.

15. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    thanks a lot Kelly

I appreciate it

are there any time of year recommendations for either place?

16. hmmm

i dunno, one place is expensive and the other place has lot's of diarrhea....tough choice....

17. jaysinnva

jaysinnva

Nov 1, 2007
    Virginia
    I've not been to Hawaii, but have been to Mexico and loved it. It's very affordable depending on where you go. I did have to use Spanish a bit, but I expected that going in. The locals were very friendly, and the scenery is beautiful. I went to Puerto Vallarta and Sayulita.

Edit: I forgot to add, authentic Mexican cuisine (not Tex-Mex), is unbelievably tasty.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2008
  18. Been to Cabo (Mexico) and Hawaii (Maui) once each. Everything you want to do can be done there, or on Grand Exuma Island, St. Kitts and Nevis, Barbados, Bermuda.....

If I had to choose, I think I'd go to Maui again. We went in February and the whales were breeding, and I missed a trip to a volcano.

But wherever you go, raise one for the Cafe while you're lying on the beach!

19. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    The big island. I can smell the fragrance of the flowers just thinking about it.

20. jadlh

jadlh

Mar 6, 2008
    USA, Michigan
    MMMmmmmmm!

Image218.gif

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.