Hawai'i - Where the sea tunneled through the rock

Real Name
Andy
Very short trip to the Big Island provided little opportunity for photography, but here is a pre-dawn sequence of some interesting wave action on the very unique volcanic rock. Four frames taken over an 11-second span.
Kona_21D_3986.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Kona_21D_3992.jpg

Kona_21D_4000.jpg

Kona_21D_4005.jpg

My spouse just asked me last night if I'd like to go back to the Big Island even though we'd been there a couple times. I just looked at her with my best "Are you seriously asking if I'd object to a mostly free vacation in Hawai'i?"

An open "blow hole" :) Neat stuff.

There was a "blow hole" on Kauai that was blown up by the army, to look like that.
It seems the salt spray from the jet of salt water going up, was killing the sugar cane, down wind of the blow hole. So the sugar company "convinced" the politicians to get the army to blow it open, so that it would not jet up, and spray the sugar cane.

Nice ones. i wonder if one was at low tide and the others at high(er) tide or were they all taken within a few minutes.

Pic1- Look carefully on the far wall. The water is showing in a hole.
When the wave comes in, it gets forced through the hole and into the open area behind it.
Like filling up a bathtub from the bottom.

Real Name
Andy
i wonder if one was at low tide and the others at high(er) tide or were they all taken within a few minutes
The hole was filling and draining the pool very quickly. These images were selected from a burst over the course of 11 seconds. Since the moon was full the night before, the tidal flow would have been stronger than usual, and during a rising tide, this made for a fairly violent rush of water in and out of the pool. I'm pretty sure that an hour later my camera would have been wet.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
This is a great sequence Andy. I can feel the water's mist and smell the salt air.

We went to Hawaii for our honeymoon in 1994. On Kauai we went to see Spouting Horn. It is a similar rock formation where water shoots up through from underneath.

Very short trip to the Big Island provided little opportunity for photography, but here is a pre-dawn sequence of some interesting wave action on the very unique volcanic rock. Four frames taken over an 11-second span.
View attachment 1681422
View attachment 1681423
View attachment 1681424
View attachment 1681425
Very nice. That water is so beautiful. I've been to Hawaii but the water on Waikiki is nothing compared to this. It reminds m of that guy on TV from Florida that makes Lagoon Pools. Can't remember his name of the show.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom