Hawk ID

Real Name
Bill
Saw this guy in the Tetons this morning. My Merlin App gives me three possibilities.

GT Hawk 2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Going by the shape of the head and beak, I'd guess it's a Merlin. No visual clues as to size, so that makes it a challenge. Thought it might be an immature Coopers but the head/beak isn't right for that nor a redtail, sharp-shinned. Body shape/color doesn't look right for a red shouldered. A kestral has bigger/buggier eyes.

Could be a juvie. Not every bird fits neatly into the catelogue. I'm kinda guessing by process of elimination. I can tell you better what it isn't! It's not an osprey, either! ;^)

I suppose it could be a juvie sharp shinned. The head doesn't look right where it transitions to the beak but the color and tail feather patterns match decently. Would explain the eye color as well.

I don't think so, they don't get the gray in the tail feathers until year 2 and by then the eye color is different. The head doesn't look right either, the goshawk seems to have a gradual slope to the beak, more buteo-like.

You could always post it on an Audubon Face Book page, probably have an answer in minutes.

Latest threads

Top Bottom