Hawk Mountain alert for Wed 9/21 - UPDATE - ARGGH!

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by Gordon Large, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

UPDATE - So the conditions were perfect and, to quote from the HM site, "Still awaiting our peak broadwing day." Wasn't bad - 211 Broadwings and 272 raptors in total - but definitely not the BIG ONE. I'm about as good at forecasting raptors as I am stocks. :confused:

-------------

A front is moving through tonight, and the forecast for tomorrow is winds of 5-10 mph from the NW with highs in the low 80s. 179 Broadwings were seen today under lousy conditions for most of the day, and tomorrow's forecast is perfect for a big day. To quote the site, "Still awaiting our peak broadwing day." The forecast for Thursday has winds coming from the south - not good. I would go tomorrow if I could, but I have a conflict. But if any of you can get there tomorrow, you just MIGHT catch the big one.

Caveat - I've been to Hawk Mountain under similar promising conditions and struck out.

If you do go, good luck! Bring long glass and a monopod because tripods are tough to use on the boulder-strewn North Lookout where you want to be.

Gordon

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2005
  2. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    I went last weekend on Saturday, and after the previous day had 200+ Hawks and 10 Eagles, when I Was there for 3 hours we saw a total of 3 turkey vultures, and I ended up photographing a chipmunk. For the day, I Think the count was 6 sightings of thigns, but nothing noteworthy. I had more luck photographing hawks in my back yard.

This is the second year I have gone during "peak" season and totally crapped out. I am begniing to think that the hefty $7 entrance fee for this pays for all the pretty uniforms the 11 interns sitting there were wearing. 11 interns and two staff members, which outnumbered the animal sightings almost 5:1.

They do have nice rest room facilities however.

I will try again next year I suppose.

3. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Twig - keep trying! Yesterday wasn't the big one, but it wasn't bad either. I know your feeling though. Many times my wife and I have seen more hawks sitting on telephone poles and dead trees driving up the NE Extension of the PA turnpike. Never had the guts to pull over with the slow traffic going 70.

Gordon