Hawk Mountain alert for Wednesday 9/21

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gordon Large, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

I posted this in the Places to Shoot forum but thought that more folks from Eastern PA or nearby states would see it here -

A front is moving through tonight, and the forecast for tomorrow is winds of 5-10 mph from the NW with highs in the low 80s. 179 Broadwings were seen today under lousy conditions for most of the day, and tomorrow's forecast is perfect for a big day. To quote the site, "Still awaiting our peak broadwing day." The forecast for Thursday has winds coming from the south - not good. I would go tomorrow if I could, but I have a conflict. But if any of you can get there tomorrow, you just MIGHT catch the big one.

Caveat - I've been to Hawk Mountain under similar promising conditions and struck out.

If you do go, good luck! Bring long glass and a monopod because tripods are tough to use on the boulder-strewn North Lookout where you want to be.

Gordon

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2005
  2. how far is the hike to the top?

3. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Dave -

How did you dig this one up from a year ago? I would guess the hike is about a mile to the North Lookout, which is the best spot for watching the fall migration. The first 2/3rds is a fairly gentle climb on a mostly rockless woods trail. The last 1/3 includes most of the total 300 foot rise. There are places where climbing on (not up) rocks is required, but there is a ladder on the one really steep spot. I always wear low-cut hiking shoes.

The web site has gotten pretty sophisticated. You can find trail descriptions here - http://www.hawkmountain.org/visiting_us/general_information.htm#Trails

and the home page is here - http://www.hawkmountain.org/default.shtml

If you are interested in going give me a heads up because I always go there a couple of times each fall.

Gordon

4. Thanks Gordon, I knew I could count on you! I did a search actually as I knew you had posted on this before. I am in west Va all next week shooting scenics and thought if I get bored I may swing up there. I hope to have internet most of the time so watch for a PM