1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hawk Mountain alert for Wednesday 9/21

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gordon Large, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

I posted this in the Places to Shoot forum but thought that more folks from Eastern PA or nearby states would see it here -

A front is moving through tonight, and the forecast for tomorrow is winds of 5-10 mph from the NW with highs in the low 80s. 179 Broadwings were seen today under lousy conditions for most of the day, and tomorrow's forecast is perfect for a big day. To quote the site, "Still awaiting our peak broadwing day." The forecast for Thursday has winds coming from the south - not good. I would go tomorrow if I could, but I have a conflict. But if any of you can get there tomorrow, you just MIGHT catch the big one.

Caveat - I've been to Hawk Mountain under similar promising conditions and struck out.

If you do go, good luck! Bring long glass and a monopod because tripods are tough to use on the boulder-strewn North Lookout where you want to be.

Gordon

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2005
  2. how far is the hike to the top?

3. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Dave -

How did you dig this one up from a year ago? I would guess the hike is about a mile to the North Lookout, which is the best spot for watching the fall migration. The first 2/3rds is a fairly gentle climb on a mostly rockless woods trail. The last 1/3 includes most of the total 300 foot rise. There are places where climbing on (not up) rocks is required, but there is a ladder on the one really steep spot. I always wear low-cut hiking shoes.

The web site has gotten pretty sophisticated. You can find trail descriptions here - http://www.hawkmountain.org/visiting_us/general_information.htm#Trails

and the home page is here - http://www.hawkmountain.org/default.shtml

If you are interested in going give me a heads up because I always go there a couple of times each fall.

Gordon

4. Thanks Gordon, I knew I could count on you! I did a search actually as I knew you had posted on this before. I am in west Va all next week shooting scenics and thought if I get bored I may swing up there. I hope to have internet most of the time so watch for a PM

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.