Hawk & Turtle (warning graphic)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gale, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    No time for turtle soup...

Hey thats nature.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Wow Gale, great catch. Was that they guy you and I chased around all over Viera?

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Sure is Flew. Cropped the devil out of this. Wasn't a snail after all.

He sure had a fight with that little turtle. I am amazed at nature and how these birds and animals go about getting thier food.

Boy that lighting was tough on him.. Sure hope you got some "GOOD" ones of this long chase we were on :>))

Fun though.

4. Nice shot, Gale!! Up close and personal!

5. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Great catch Gale!

6. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    Clap, Clap Clap! Good one! Those poor turtles have become the meal of choice these days!

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Kevin, Ben, Trish,

Thanks a bunch.

This was quite a feat to catch this guy... Flew and I must have followed him for half a mile, over the river and through the woods, so to speak.

Hope Flew will post some of the ones he got of the Hawk.

8. jaminphoto

jaminphoto

Jul 7, 2005
    SF Bay area
    I guess the shell doesnt really help when your stalker has sharp and pointy beak.

--ricardo

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Ricardo,
    I am quite suprised at how many birds really like turtles. Take the caracara for instance, they steal turtle eggs as well as love turtle.
    Great blue Heron has been see with turtles, and swallow them whole. ouch.
    Great Egret as well. Those are just the ones I have seen.

Wish I had time to stufy all these birds. Would never had known any of this if not for having a camers.

What a great teacher.

Thanks for stopping by.

10. Callie

Callie Guest

Shame
    Poor turtle, but meat is meat and bird must eat. Very nice pic, Gale, always nice to look, see and learn. I have been in love with photography since I was a kid, never had enough money to buy proper kit for a long time, still cannot aford what I want at SA prices, but yes, shooting birds and nature really let you see more. It is one on the reasons why I write a little with my posts, believing that it might help someone somewhere to love nature just a bit mors
    PS, thanks for looking at my Great egrets
    Regards

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank You also Callie :>))

I really could not believe how small that Turtle was. From the distance of shooting I thought it was one of the Snails that are invading out waters.

The Limplin really loves snails. Need more Limpkins. Have only seen one pair at the Viera Wetlands.

That turtle could not have more than 2 1/2 inches.

So you can tell how much I had to crop to see it. It was an interesting watch. Also an enduring chase and not in to safe grounds with Alligators and snakes about. Just followed Frank aka/Flew, all over the place chasing this character. He is tough to shoot. Always back lit. Think he does it on purpose. Birds hate photographers :>)) Harry B says birds are EVIL lolol..
    Great chating with you again.

I also can not afford the equip I need for this kind of shooting. It is a wonder I get anything.
    Went shooting for a couple hours yesterday..
    Really nothing to keep in my opinion. :<(( To gray, To dark, To Gloomy.

There is a Hurricane aproaching this area. I am just north of it coming in from the West coast of Florida. I live on the East coast. Just a real messy situation.

Very thankful not to get a direct hit coming off the Atlantic Ocean.

12. WOw great capture , you would think he would go after a easier meal

13. My OH MY!! What a catch Gale. Great one. Glad I was not the turtle.

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Mike and Jim ,

Thanks a bunch :>))

Amazing to think from sittin way up in a tree he could see that tiny turtle and swoop down and get and then to proceed to pull it out of its shell.

Turtle in beak, foot on head. You see how he streched that poor little thing. I was truly amazed when I brought up the images to see what he had done.

Not even visable with the 80-400 VR and 1.4 TC.

Flew and I chased this guy all over the place for over a half an hour at least.
    Saw him swoop down and fly off and I told Frank, I know where he is going . Sure enough back to his favorite post. I got him there once with a snake. lolol

thanks for looking in.

Although the shots I got weren't all that great, the experience and watching some of nature was great.

15. Wow, what a great capture, Gale!!! Yes, nature can be messy and gory sometimes but hey, not all food comes on a styrofoam tray!! *LOL* This is why turtles lay so many eggs - so a few will make it through the season. This is a great shot showing how nature works. Now if we could only train this raptor to make a go at some Toronto racoons, I'll be a happy camper!! LOL

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank you Sandie,

Got more vutures than we need , what a few of those. Well they only clean up the leftovers......

Thank you for reading the adventure Frank and I had while he was here.

I do like to watch nature. So seldom get this in picture or even see it.

17. Gale, this hawk is really getting with the program. Even the tough shell is no protection from this bird of prey. Well taken image.

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank You Gordon,

Yes I guess it is tough survial out there for nature. The prey sure like the small tender ones.

19. Cool capture Gale, is this what you call an ordeurve?? LOL.................anything these birds done eat. LOL Nicely done!!!!!

20. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Keith
    That poor turtle was so small, might fit on a cracker lolol

Thnak you..