Hawks - Point Pelee, Ontario

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Paul Dunlop, Sep 26, 2008.

1. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    Paul, for the most part they're a little underexposed but, all in all, I'd say you're off to a good start. I'm curious about your choice of focal lengths considering that they are heavily cropped. I looked at the exif for a few and it showed that they were shot at 70, 145, 195, and 300mm .

2. Hi

Gotcha - I didn't get to choose my focal lengths :frown:....because i was having so much trouble tracking them

I would get one - zoom to 300mm - then lose it and have to pull back - then shoot - at whatever length I happened to be at

This is a skill set that I just haven't attempted before and I can't wait to practice this more!

3. Hiya paul! Yep, doing birds in flight can be quite hard! I think you got a couple of vultures in with your hawks the 2nd and last are turkey vultures. keep up the practice, get a good bird book, and get prepared to get a bad case of lens lust disease!

4. good shooting Paul, keep the sun at your back if you can, and over expose when shooting up into a blue or white sky... 1-2 stops.

Good luck out there!

5. BirdLady

BirdLady

Jan 8, 2006
    Alabama
    Good start on BIF, Paul. If I tried all mine would be a big blur. BIF shots are the hardest to do.