HD cleanup and maintenance

The new macbook pro is a slick machine. Both of us are just learning our way around.With my PC i use jv16 power tools to clean the registry, defrag. and clean up files as in remove all the temp files from the internet etc. I understand you don't have to defrag as it will do it on it's own, but what about the other maintenance? Which is the best software for this?
Thanks
Brad

Brad, to view the various options and opinions on this topic visit www.macosg.com and search the forums there. Macs have some maintenance options built in and many of us use only those from Apple. Like Repair Permissions and the chrons. Other tools are on the Leopard DVD.

I was looking at the disk utilities file and it appeared to be a tool for problems and not regular maintenance. I guess it's the way it's worded.
I've run across onyx, and Main Menu. Both look like they will do the job.
Thia is going to take some getting used to. I'm still using my desktop PC for my own use, but i want to upgrade my computer, and a mac pro is an option.
I just want to clean up caches and temp. internet files if there is such a thing on a Mac.
What is the crons? I thought that was a symptom of bad shrimp and too much beer.

Thanks for all the ideas. There is a plethora of apps out there that will do what i'm after. At this point i have maintidget and appdelete on the mac pro. My wife's computer is the test unit for learning mac stuff. She has no idea what i'm doing, and doesn't care, as long as it works when she needs it.
Onyx looks like a good piece of software and will do what these 2 programs are doing, but until i get used to the mac and associated terminology, i think i'll leave it alone.
Windows installation and uninstallation of software and regular maintenance requires more work than the mac.

Latest threads

Top Bottom