Hdd

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris C, Dec 3, 2005.

1. I'm getting ready to put my HDD in for stripping. While the computer is in the shop, I'm considering adding another HDD. Presently I have 120GB HDD with 512M memory, 2700 DDR Memory. Runs at 166 mhz and uses an AMD Athlon processor. 1.20GHZ (Frankly, I don't know what the majority of that means. I've just got it written down so when you computer techies ask I can tell!)

I've been working with digital images since only May of this year, and am now down to 35% free space. Any suggestions as to how much I need to add to my HDD so I can work quickly and keep storing pictures?

2. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Hard drives are pretty inexpensive all things considered. If it were me, I would add at least a 300 gig hard drive to the system.

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I do not like striping drives. In the event one of the two drives fail all data is lost. I would rather have 2 large, 300gb or better drives and have a good routine for backups and file management. The speed increase that striping drives with IDE is just not justifable to me to do want to do it.

Good luck,

4. If you've got the capability inside your box, add a SECOND drive, a large one. Use your smaller one for programs only. My main C: drive is only 40GB because it only contains my operating system and my programs. All my programs are directed to store the data onto my D: drive which is 250GB. This holds My Documents folder, all my pics, all my files etc. and I back this up nightly to an external drive. I also have Norton Ghosted my C: drive to my D: drive in case of corruption, failure, etc. I can (and have been) back up and running within 8 minutes after what would normally have been a catastrophic failure. Keep your data on separate drives from your programs and OS!!! VERY important.

5. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Hard disks come very cheap these days. Purchase a couple of 250 GB disks while you're at it (NB: you need an updated operating system capable of 48 bit LBA to enable the system to use all of the disk space, otherwise 137 GB is the limit).

6. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Sata

If your motherboard will handle the SATA drives are faster - probably as fast or faster than striping.

7. Chris C, while upgrading HDD, also upgrade your RAM to at least 1GB. It will improve computational speed when processing large image files. If your motherboard can handle dual-memory modules, use this kind of RAM.

8. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    I used to use dual SATA drives with RAID striping. Like Patrick said, if one drive fails you've lost all your data. Something similar to me happened and luckily I was able to salvage the second drive. Anyways, I no longer use striping unless they are backed up to another redundant set of drives (so 2 drives mirroriing another 2 drives).

9. Idor

Idor Guest

I used 3 160GB SATA drives not for striping but for raid 5 since HDD are cheap. anyways, whatever you do remember to back up your data. just my $0.02 worth

10. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

If this is your CPU's specs, you really need a faster one, and that could mean a new motherboard too. Also, today, especially with Nikon Capture, you need 2GB of RAM.