HDR and CS2

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by manzico, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Anyone have any good examples of where HDR helped them? I understand that the big benefit of HDR is that you can store these vast dynamic ranges in one file once you've merged all of your photos, but I don't see how the end result, a file converted to a dynamic range representable on a screen or print and viewable to the naked eye, is any different than the end result of the manual merging described here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/blended_exposures.shtml

which I've been doing for quite some time already. I guess it allows you to combine many images at once as opposed to two at a time, but fundamentally, it's the visible displayed image, be it on paper or screen, that I'm really interested. Whether or not all of the dynamic range captured in multiple exposures is stored in one file or many doesn't really interest me. I guess I'm looking for some testimonials about this feature. I know astronomy shooters love it, but what about the rest of us?

thanks,

Dave

2. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    You're right that until we have output devices that can take advantage of the full range, we can't get the full benefit of HDR. In the meantime I think there are two possible benefits:

1) Easier than manually combining exposures. For some shots doing it manually can be quite tedius and/or difficult.

2) Better results than manually combining exposures. Of course this depends on whether the results are really better, I haven't used the Merge to HDR enough to know if that's the case or not.