1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

HDR and Wide angle Comparision

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by BarryD3, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Sort of following Terri's HDR threads, I had a request to photograph the science building at a local university. Yesterday I took the shot using a 14-24 mm F2.8 lens on a D3 with f = 17 mm, F10, and 1/400 at about 3 PM. Today I had the chance to do a second shooting for fun using the 24-70 mm F2.8 lens on a D3 with f = 27 mm, F8, and four sets of 7 bracketed exposured from 1/60 to 1/1000 (0.7 per step). Time today was about 11 AM. I used PTGuiPro to generate the panorama.

The client was very pleased with print from the conventional wide angle shot as it was apparently better than any taken by the in-house university photographer.

This is the wide angle shot.
    [​IMG]

This is the 4 sets of 7 exposures.
    [​IMG]

I rather like the HDR, but would appreciate comments. I realize this isn't a very exciting subject to shoot, but then some people like their buildings. :smile: The bricks are quite red FWIW. Also, I removed the most and least exposures (5 bracketed exposures) and got essential the same results as I did with all 7; however, both of these images contained useful information so I guess that may be why.

Regards,

2. W6PJJ

W6PJJ Guest

Barry:

I can tell the difference between the standard shot and the HDR photo. A bit less drag on the perimeter of the frame on the second photo. I can definitely notice the results of the wide angle on Pic #1. The grass in Pic #2 is especially full bodied due to the overlay. I believe you did a very good job here. The balance in HDR is especially pleasing to me as I do not like the surreal effects by many HDR photographers. I do notice the curvature from the sidewalk outwards in Pic #2 a difficult problem to solve in HDR. If you have a chance, take a look on Nikonians in the " A picture I took " forum and look for some nice HDR by ( dmenges ) Don does some great work, and is always there to help with the questions. You can also find some nice stuff to discuss on the Rochester NY site. Keep um coming..

3. Thank you for the comments Sil. My intent was to make the image more realistic rather than surreal, so I'm pleased you found the HDR so. Thank you for the reference to Don's HDR photos. The ones I saw of Rochester are beautiful.

Regards,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.