HDR From Dead Horse Point Overlook in the Canyonlands

In editing the images I took on a recent trip, I overlooked these two shots quickly. They were two of a five shot bracket that I took (the other three are pretty unremarkable, also).

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Then I returned for a closer look of the bracketed group and this is what I came up with using the above in Photomatix and then pp'ing in Photoshop using curves and noise reduction. The water ponds are part of a potash production facility.

View attachment 96191

Murrey

honestly you really don't have to do HDR in this spot if you get teh exposure right in the camera...
I think you missed my point, Eric.

Yes the exposure was atrocious. My bad!

HDR saved my bacon, as the darkroom did for Ansel, so often.

:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Murrey,

I like the color in your final version.

You might have been standing in my footsteps there. Here was my wide angle take on 6x6 film in '96. From the La Sals it looks like you had a lot less haze.

http://sfox.smugmug.com/gallery/291083/8#154436765-L-LB
Very close John.

Looks like the potash ponds didn't have much in the way of color when you were there. When I saw them, they were almost flourescent.

Murrey

Well done! I've read a lot about HDR but I've never tried it. It's high on my list list of things to learn. Is it a time consuming process? Did it take you long to learn? Where did you go for instruction and help?

Well done! I've read a lot about HDR but I've never tried it. It's high on my list list of things to learn. Is it a time consuming process? Did it take you long to learn? Where did you go for instruction and help?
Thanks, Haze!

Here's link to get you started;

http://hdrphotos.net/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

Like any software, it's kind of proportional to the amount of time invested. Some of my results are quick and others I have to labor over.

Murrey

Bravo, Murrey! The detail in the final image is wonderful. Very well done. Thanks for the effort--I always learn something when I look at images like this one and get an idea of how it was accomplished. Thanks for sharing your process.

Dave, Scotty & Gale, your comments are very much appreciated!

While this subject (HDR) is technically one that should probably be in another forum, landscape phtography is where the software shines.

Thanks for putting up with my posts!

Murrey

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom