HDR From Dead Horse Point Overlook in the Canyonlands

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by murreywalker, May 18, 2007.

1. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    In editing the images I took on a recent trip, I overlooked these two shots quickly. They were two of a five shot bracket that I took (the other three are pretty unremarkable, also).

original.

Then I returned for a closer look of the bracketed group and this is what I came up with using the above in Photomatix and then pp'ing in Photoshop using curves and noise reduction. The water ponds are part of a potash production facility.

View attachment 96191

Murrey

2. Awesome Murrey, I have not used that software but love the HDR in CS3.

3. honestly you really don't have to do HDR in this spot if you get teh exposure right in the camera...

4. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    I think you missed my point, Eric.

Yes the exposure was atrocious. My bad!

HDR saved my bacon, as the darkroom did for Ansel, so often.

:wink:

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2007
  5. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    Thanks, Geoff.

I've tried HDR in CS3, but will results that I'm not happy with. Probably need to go back and try harder!

Murrey

6. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
  7. DJ Matt

DJ Matt Guest

I like that last one

8. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    Very close John.

Looks like the potash ponds didn't have much in the way of color when you were there. When I saw them, they were almost flourescent.

Murrey

9. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    The result is certainly worth the effort. Nice image.

10. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well done! I've read a lot about HDR but I've never tried it. It's high on my list list of things to learn. Is it a time consuming process? Did it take you long to learn? Where did you go for instruction and help?

11. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    Thanks, Haze!

Here's link to get you started;

http://hdrphotos.net/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

Like any software, it's kind of proportional to the amount of time invested. Some of my results are quick and others I have to labor over.

Murrey

12. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    Many thanks, Jeff!

Murrey

13. I really like the final result, Murrey. Glad you took the time to pull it off.

14. Scotty_R

Scotty_R

Jan 1, 2006
    Virginia
    Bravo, Murrey! The detail in the final image is wonderful. Very well done. Thanks for the effort--I always learn something when I look at images like this one and get an idea of how it was accomplished. Thanks for sharing your process.

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Final is very beautiful

16. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    Dave, Scotty & Gale, your comments are very much appreciated!

While this subject (HDR) is technically one that should probably be in another forum, landscape phtography is where the software shines.

Thanks for putting up with my posts!

Murrey