HDR look, manually

I used NIK tools to create this one. (not HDREfex Pro) It's just a shot I took sometime last year I decided to play with, sort of cool I thought...

1226447944_wR55f-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Very cool! I do some HDR type work manually by using layer masks and painting things in and out. Works well on shots with a dark foreground and a bright horizion, like sunrises. Not so well on detailed shots like this. What is your technique?

Hey Pete, Phil, thanks. There's just a lot of control of colors, contrast, control points, dynamics built into the Nik software. It's really cool. I know a lot of people love NX2 for these reasons, but now I can have my Adobe, and Nik together with the plug ins.

I think I started out with a low key preset on this one if I recall correctly and from there, just moded, this, modded that. I know I put a control point or two in the sky to try and recover some blue, but there's little there to recover honestly. I ran it through several processes, in both Color Efex III and Viveza II. This was truly just an exercise, but I see a lot of power through doing it. I also used Dfine 2.0, and Sharpener Pro 2. I bought the entire suite of products. Cool stuff, lots of presets in Color Efex II

I recommend Color Efex for color photos, and Viveza II for it's control point ability, and Silver Efex II for Black and White if I was picking 3 apps to work with Lightroom or CS5.

This was fun, I refined my approach pretty well on another shot I did, I'll post it up in the landscapes area.

Interesting, I'll have to check that out. I'm not a huge fan of the "HDR" look but what you posted is pretty clean.

Here is one I did the way I mentioned earlier. It's a little sloppy where I blended it by the water line but it's a good example.

There is no "HDR" here, just two properly exposed frames; one is the sky/water one is the grass. I did pump the contrast and saturation a bit but that is ALL color manipulation done here. I did the blending in the water near the shore.

4933201397_82e6e35443_b.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

For me

both the shots posted REALLY work.

I think both are excellent and show what can be done without going into the realms of HDR.

Very nice indeed.

Best wishes

Ray

Very nice Pete! Thanks Ray and Don too. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Diane and Dallas. to think I found this on the cutting room floor too. Don't throw stuff out, never know what you might make of it, lol.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom