HDR of my Jeep Cherokee

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by PAFirefighter11, Sep 5, 2008.

1. For some reason everyone seems to love this "shot" I took of my Jeep Cherokee on the closed portion of Route 61 in the town of Centralia, PA (Silent Hill):

346687133_YXrv6-XL.jpg

D70s, 18-70mm Nikkor, 3 bracketed images, 2 EV's apart, Photomatix, handheld.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2008
  2. Like it! Very intense. I find the color of the turn signal lenses a little too vivid but maybe it's just me. Thanks for sharing.......

Cheers

Ted:smile:

3. This is one of the better HDR shots that has been posted here ..... nicely done.

Regards,

4. seiler

seiler

Aug 11, 2008
    Colorado
    Look what I inspired! Jk, I'm pretty sure it was the other way around. Either way, I am a fan of this pic. Now, if only your Jeep had some lift! :biggrin:

Scott

5. Thanks so much everyone! :)

Scott: I think you're right, mine was first :-P Oh and there is a 2" Teraflex BB on there. I'm selling it, though, along with my Camaro, to purchase a Wrangler :)

6. seiler

seiler

Aug 11, 2008
    Colorado
    Gah! :eek: A JK? Or, TJ/YJ? JK would be sweet. Slap 4" and 37's on it and just wheel alll day

7. It'll be a TJ most likely. Had 2 YJ's, 2 XJ's. I want to try something new :)

8. lazijay

lazijay

Jul 27, 2008
    Salinas, CA
    Nice HDR shot. It feels like a scene from a movie, some suspense movie. I need to try an HDR shot of my Chevy Blazer some day. Thanks for sharing Rick!

9. Thanks much. I haven't used a tripod for my last few HDR's. If your camera is fast enough, and you know how to stay still, you can work it without. You can see some movement in this (namely with the trees) as the wind was blowing strong due to nearby thunderstorms.

10. BiG Chris

BiG Chris

Mar 18, 2008
    San francisco
    I love the HDR I still wish that i can do it.

11. VDMTom

VDMTom

Jun 24, 2008
    CA, USA
    i want to learn this. sadly not enough time to do it..

looks great.

12. Thanks :) It took me a little while to get down. It really depends on so many different elements. The sky is the biggest key. It looks okay with blue sky, but you want dark sky, or big puffy white clouds with gray bottoms. Those usually look the best. The adjustment thing is a whole other issue in itself. That takes a while to get down and changes on every photo.

13. mobeious1

mobeious1

Oct 24, 2008
    fl
    how exactly do u do it?

14. The short of it: 3 exposures. Set your camera to BKT (Bracket), with them 2 EV's apart. Then do your shooting (use a tripod please!). Use the program Photomatix (Among others) to take the 3 photos and merge them. Then, go ahead and Tone Map the image to your liking and you have your final product.

15. mobeious1

mobeious1

Oct 24, 2008
    fl
    oh ok thats what i was thinking .. i was just wanting to be sure

16. Keithj34

Keithj34

Oct 22, 2008
    Dalton, GA
    nice shot..gonna have to give HDR merge a try....