HDR Test

I tried the trial of Phomatix Pro 2 or 3 years ago, and didn’t like anything I was doing, and didn’t have enough interest in HDR to really learn it, or to pay the price for the software, so I dropped HDR altogether. Recently, I went to the Photomatix site and found that they now have Photomatix Lite, so I downloaded the trial. I find the user friendliness and the price to be much more palatable. So, here is an attempt from a 4 shot photo I did yesterday. Second shot is 0 EV straight from the camera. This may be a little crude compared to what normally gets posted here, but comments and criticism will be much appreciated.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The original from the camera.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Would love to see all the exposures so I can compare the final results of yor HDR end result

Gary,
I like it. What a timely thread too. I only use nx2 and was just wondering about any stand alone products that weren't to costly. How much is the lite version (combination of being lazy and doing this from my phone)? Nevermind...$40 vs $100

I have been experimenting with hdr for three or four months. I've noticed hdr seems to shine when shooting images with deep shadows and highlights. The average shot does not seem to need hdr. I usually shoot my hdr in three, five, or even seven frames although three or five frames seems to be enough. I am using CS5 because I already had it but continue to read of other hdr software. From what I've read Photomatrix Pro, HDR Photo Pro, HDR Darkroom, and HDR Eflex Pro are all available as standalone and in some cases are CS5 plug-ins. I will continue to use CS5 for now. Just MHO.:smile:

I'm partial to fog. The more mysterious the better.
I also agree that in this this case, a graduated filter in Lightroom could have been used to add a bit of emphasis to the foreground if needed.

Gary,
I like it. What a timely thread too. I only use nx2 and was just wondering about any stand alone products that weren't to costly. How much is the lite version (combination of being lazy and doing this from my phone)? Nevermind...$40 vs $100
Thanks. $40 is much more palatable for something I won’t use that much.

Don't believe in purchasing additional software if you own any good (raw)editor - here is a "quickie" from the oroginal jpeg done with NX, Cone, Phocus PS will give you the ability to do similar adjustments, In NX it took me 5 min to adjust 10 steps ...
I use CS3, and CS5 is in the mail, but Photomatix takes out a lot of steps and makes things easier. Sure, one can do a lot with PS, but I’m not one to spend much time in PP. As a sports photographer, I see enough of CS3 as it is, and rarely do stuff for fun like this anymore. The colors in my HDR image reflect what I actually saw with my eyes that day so much, that I’m fairly happy with my result. You lost all of the definition in the tops of the trees. Of course, you didn’t have all the images to work with.

Looks good Gary. The HDR version allows you to see deeper through the mist.
Thank you.

I have been experimenting with hdr for three or four months. I've noticed hdr seems to shine when shooting images with deep shadows and highlights.

That is true. I have had my bracket set for 3 shots at .3 EV, but just changed that to .7. Never played with that part of bracketing before. More to work with. Gives me more to work with in those shadow and highlight areas.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom