HDTV rant

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pa, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Why do the networks (ESPN is especially egregious) waste so much screen space with their banners, etc. ?

368670617_KpxZs-L.jpg

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Yep, I know what you mean.

I was watching the Florida-Miami game this weekend with my Father-in-law and we both commented on the same thing.

Looks like that banner takes up about 1/6th of the total screen.

3. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Or better yet they put that annoying crawler on the bottom distracting you. Then they add that CC logo, and finally top it off with that stupid tv rating thing that flashes on the screen after the commercial is over.

Oh I forgot.....when they flash on what you're watching right now....in case you forgot...and then what's coming on next....lol.

4. I don't think that they, ESPN, CNN etc. consider it a waste. Yes a waste to you and me Jim, but not to them. We're talking advertisement in pure HD quality!
    It is a shame though that we go out and layout our hard earned cash to buy a HDTV with a lot of screen real estate only to be filled partially.
    Oh well.:frown:

5. i won't watch ESPN2 any more
    i refuse
    unless i have something to BLOCK the ticker that runs 24/7 at the bottom of the screen
    it has angered me for years
    and..... on HD.... it's worse than ever

great thread
    good point

6. Good to hear I'm not the only one bothered by this. I submitted an e-mail complaint to ESPN from their website, but I'll probably not get a response.

7. NateD

NateD Guest

but how else will you know that you are watching ESPN Monday Night Football on ESPNHD????:biggrin:

8. pkusafa

pkusafa

Mar 3, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Couldn't they at least show the down and distance in that gigantic banner?

9. Amen!

10. schuds

schuds

Dec 4, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Get a smaller TV; you won't have the problem.:wink: My mere 20 and 30 inch widescreens have real little banners at the bottom. I can barely see them.

11. Actually, mine is 32 inches. I would think it would be less troublesome with bigger screens.

12. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I don't waste any of my 50" plasma screen on sports. No problems with banners, except during bad weather and election results.

13. what do you watch?
    just movies?

14. HGTV does that. In a half hour show I swear every 30 seconds they take up 15-20% of the screen with animated promos for their other shows.

15. Ya know...Don't get mne started on HDTV!!

I don't know how many of you have Comcast, but they claim to have the most HD. I'd like to know where it is. Same old tired movies.

I do watch some of the Discovery, HGTV and the like. No sports.

I watch TV like 4 hours a week... not much. :cool:

They need the Digital Camera channel! :biggrin::biggrin:

16. tgrove

tgrove

Apr 6, 2008
    jupiter florida
    i would like to answer this. there is only about 35-40% of the tv's out there that are HD. so what does ESPN (and others) do? the make all their graphics work for both formats (4:3/16:9) thats why you see the long graphics. below is the same image with the frame would be on a non HD tv

2842061128_6fa5da7289.jpg

17. Wait until they start putting popups in.:biggrin:

18. Most Widescreen TVs support a zoom function for the aspect ratio. In a lot of cases this will allow you to zoom in slightly and remove the banner. You might also end up losing a bit from the top or the sides, but normally that is not where the action is happening in a game. Try it, it might solve your problem, or it might not..... just a suggestion

19. zerocool

zerocool

Jan 21, 2008
    Tracy Calif
    u know ive never looked at the banners...im just way to into the picture and what im watching to pay attention to it on my 57".....

*sighs my poor Raiders*

20. My wife and I watch ESPN some and the banner is annoying, but it does help keep me up to date on other scores I may be interested in, so I tolerate it. Other than that it's Speed, Animal Planet, NG, and Law and Order.:smile:
    Tim