He didn't forget the D2x this time....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leigh, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    For those of you who might have wondered if Patrick forgot his camera this weekend...I have proof that he did not!!! This time we both got out of the house with our cameras....Here, Patrick is setting up his D2X to get a few shots at his parents house out on Smith Lake.

Patrick
    26239390-L.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very good one Leigh. Nice to see Patrick relaxing a little. :wink:

Nice house too. 8)

3. nice....but I get nervous when I see the neckstrap off the neck and LOTS of hard cement 5 feet below..........!

4. Ah -- Smith Lake. I assume you are refering to Lewis Smith Lake. I have wasted many an enjoyable gallon of gas at that beautiful place. I doubt I would know the area now, not having been there in probably 10 years. For many years it was like a hidden gem seemingly undiscovered by the masses out of Birmingham. We used to go there almost every weekend and have spent some week-long vacations exploring most of the 500+ mile shoreline and, at times, it was unique to see another boat. It was a skier's delight with miles and miles of glass slick water with little to bother you. All that began to chnage the last couple of years we went over, though. The housing construction was exploding and the great unwashed were invading.

Thanks for bringing back some pleasant memories -- even if we are talking about different "Smith Lakes".

Phil

5. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Yes it is Lewis Smith. It is a beautiful place and is really booming these days. We would go fishing there as a kid and it was very quite. Now, there are boats, skiers, floatplanes, etc all over the place. Mostly busy on the weekends but if we are really needing a break, the time to go is during the week.

Regards,

6. Well glad to hear that I have been there done that, traveled two hours to a botanical garden only to realize I never put the battery in the camera.
    Looks like a nice place to hang out. Want to see the picture of the a 10 pound largemouth soon must be lurking in the lake

7. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    You and me both, Peter! That is one of my biggest pet peeves...I don't care how expensive or inexpensive your camera gear is....it's useless if you drop it! And a D2X isn't cheap....so yes, he should have had the strap around his neck....

Frank, it was nice to see Patrick relaxing. He doesn't do that often enough, so I'm happy when he take the opportunity. And yep, that house is gorgeous!!

Mike, I don't know about a 10 pound largemouth, but I know that the last time I was in the Lake was about 5 years ago...I was water skiing and lost a ski. So as I was waiting for the boat to come back around to pull me back up again, something came up under me and took a chunk out of my leg....I was out of the water quicker than I've ever moved and I haven't been back in since. I had heard rumors once that someone had let their pet pirahna go in the lake after they didn't want them anymore and they were starting to breed...well after my little experience, I wouldn't doubt it!!!

8. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    You'd have a heart attack if you saw me shoot. My neck strap's not even attached to my camera!

9. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    Wow, he has the same ball head I do! But his tripod legs are a bit better with the hand warmers!

:)

10. Where would one get the tripod insulators like yours, Patrick?

Regards,

Paul

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Leigh,

Great image of patrick. He is really focused..(no pun intended)

12. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Paul,

I"m not sure. They came with the tripod. I got it from member GeeJay. You might PM her and ask.

Thanks,

13. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Nice shot of your hubby, Leigh! Gotta ? for Patrick

What is that thingie he's attempting to mount on the camera? And Patrick use that strap? I learned the hard way & dropped mine already!

14. Unless I'm walking around with my camera, I actually take the strap off it because it's caused more problems, catching on things etc, making me lose my grip on the barrel. From my construction days, I got very used to only picking up equipment once you've got a strong grip on it. The only time ever dropped something was when the strap on my 990 caught on my seatbelt buckle and the camera went flying onto a concrete floor. Nikon nicely rescued me from that disaster.

Glad to see you relaxing and enjoying yourself, Patrick. With all the equipment I need for kayaking, I actually have made myself a list to check before going out the door. Believe it or not, I once got all my gear, drove to the put-in spot on Lake Ontario, got the kayak off the truck, all loaded with gear, dragged it to the water's edge and then realized - FORGOT MY PADDLE!!!! Had to reload all of it back on/in truck, drive for 2 mins to get the paddle and do it all over again. Take right hand, turn palm upwards, soundly smack self on forehead and vow to never do it again. And I didn't even have diapers and small kids to blame it on!! *LOL*

Steve, looks like it's one of those rail focusing thingies, for very fine-tuned focusing.

15. Patrick's tripod

I believe Gaye sold Patrick her Feisol tripod when she bought a Gitzo.
    Feisol tripods come with that hard-foam padding on the top legs. Makes it easy to grip.

Glenn

16. Nice capture Leigh.............that boy is outta control. Atta boy!! :D :D :D :D :D

17. Paul,

Those tripod leg warmers, or something similar, are available from Nikonians.

18. Thanks, Steve!

I'll go check them out!