1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Head of the Charles Regatta

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by natethomas, Sep 26, 2008.

1. The Head of the Charles is coming up in three weeks, and somehow I managed to get myself in a boat for the race. My alma mater (Bates College) is racing two alumni boats and I will be in the men's boat. I haven't rowed in six years so I am a bit apprehensive.

I'm planning on heading to the gym this afternoon to jump on an erg (rowing machine).

The Head of the Charles is one of the largest sporting events in North America, with over 5,000 athletes competing in races over a two day period. Races are 3.1 miles in length and snake around the Charles River between Boston and Cambridge. It is such a high to have constant cheering for this type of race, and now I hope I am up for it.

The boat I'm in is called "Blue Goose Boat Club" and named after a watering hole in Lewiston, Maine. Our race starts around 12:30 on Saturday, Oct 18.

I've seen quite a few people shooting at the race in the past, and I'll be there to shoot on Sunday.

Is anyone else here a rower or a former rower??

These are a few shots taken last year:

1765054743_d22c63bf20_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1765903128_6402d56847_b.jpg

1765080593_8b3fd2a773_b.jpg

The Men's National Team:
    1765094267_1c616c717b_b.jpg

2. Mike126

Mike126

Aug 14, 2008
    Herndon, Va
    Nate - That is really great! I rowed in High School for T.C. Williams in Alexandria VA. What are you guys racing 8's, 4's, pairs?

Mike

3. it's in my calendar, I always try to get down there. where do you like to shoot? I try to avoid the bridges as they're always packed.

4. We are racing an 8. I rowed with two of the other guys that are in the boat as well as the coxswain, but I don't even know the others. Needless to say, as long as we stay afloat we should be good! I just don't want to catch a crab, which means not being able to get your oar out of the water. It can be pretty disasterous and can actually rip you out of the boat - don't want that to happen! (Real bad pic at the bottom showing what can happen)

In terms of shooting I've usually been on or near Weeks Bridge and the JFK St. Bridge. I try to stake a front spot on the bridge and can get pretty good shots from there. I've also taken some shots from the shore.

Last year I had my old 80-200 AFS and 1.4TC. This year I'll have more length so I can shoot more easily from the shore.

[​IMG]

5. Mike126

Mike126

Aug 14, 2008
    Herndon, Va
    Great crab shot! Oh the memories of the 6:00 a.m. practices on the Potomac! :) 

6. Google image doing its job!

We had practices at 5 AM so we could be back at campus for 8 AM classes. That meant waking up around 4:30 - try telling partying students to be quiet at 11 PM becasue you have to be up in a little over five hours!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.