1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Headdress Ball - Orlando Fl.

Discussion in 'People' started by Ping279, Sep 11, 2008.

1. I've been shooting some small stuff for Orlando Magazine recently. I'm going to be doing some more important shoots coming up but here are some shots I took last weekend at the headdress ball.

The headdress ball is a high-class pre party and dinner complete with an undertone of a gay theme. Met some important people... but expect to meet some even more important ones tomorrow at shaq's gala here in orlando.

All these were shot in the "pre party" room.

View attachment 252148

View attachment 252149

View attachment 252150

2. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Nathan - You have some great images here!

I'm just starting to play around with flash and love how you have some great detail in the background (most of my stuff is still coming out like people in dark caves - working on the whole dragging the shutter thing)

Would you consider posting your flash set up and general settings?

3. Oh ya sure, no problem. I believe that all of these shots were shot at f5.6 iso 500 at 1/30. As for the EV value for the flash, I'm not sure. I think it was around -1/3 or so. The key is the shutter though. You really need to use the largest aperture possible to still keep the subject in focus while also using a shutter speed something slower than 1/50. It always depends on the ambient lighting conditions of course. Just remember, when the flash fires, whatever it catches will be frozen onto the sensor; after that you just have to think about how bright the ambient light is. If the ambient light is dark ( a dark room very poorly lit ) then the shutter can be pretty slow and still keep the subjects sharp while brightening up the background. If the ambient light however is brighter then you will need a faster shutter speed because after the flash fires the ambient light will be hitting the subjects increasing the exposure of them.

I hope this helped! If you have any questions to what I have said since it feels like I rambled it all, feel free to ask for clarification :) 

4. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Nathan - thank you! So you're not using rear sync flash right? Just normal flash and then adjusting the shutter speed to allow for the ambient light? BIG Thanks :) 

5. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Sorry - one more - where is your flash? Any type of diffuser?

6. Yes it is a normal flash setting, no rear curtain or anything. It is just my pop up flash on my d300. It works pretty well for things like this, it's a powerful little thing!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.